Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
117 user(s) are online (74 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 116

39Rollson, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 ... 12 »

Brake Upgrade
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bill
See User information
Hope everyone had a good year last year and a better motoring one in 08. Does anyone know of a brake company offering a front disc brake upgrade for the 1956 Packard with torsion suspension or know of one from a donor car that might work with a little tweaking? Feedback will greatly appreciated and explored.
Rowdy

Posted on: 2008/1/4 23:17
 Top  Print 

Re: Brake Upgrade
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information

Posted on: 2008/1/4 23:22
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information

Posted on: 2008/1/5 2:34
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Also Brake Tech Solutions in N.C. will take your spindle and steering arm, and build a custom disc brake setup around those and sent it back to you all ready to bolt in place. I would imagine that some machining to the exisitng spindle and steering arm would be done. (Similar to what Craig did)

More info here:http://www.braketechsolutions.com/BTSV101/customkit.php

Posted on: 2008/1/5 2:41
-BigKev

Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Hall
See User information
I have 12" DBs on the front of one of the 56 Golden Hawks, and they work as nice as the wife's 1993 Volvo. They were supposedly a bolt-on kit, but required grinding and hammering due to imprecisely fabricated components.

I bought them on ebay and got ripped off. The red light should have came on when the vendor insisted on check or M.O and would not accept PayPal. In short, he sent about half of the kit and stiffed me for the rest; it took about 2 months' hassle to even receive that half. The only components not available from AutoZone are the adapters to hold the calipers in place, and fortunately he sent those. Now familiar with the adapters, I believe just about any high school shop kid could make them.

The concept is great, and well worth doing. Fortunately, there is an honest vendor who has been making Studebaker DB kits for years. His fabricated components are laser-cut precisely, and I am told his is a true bolt-on kit. His prices are superior to the competition, considering he sends all components. He can be reached at: turnerbrake.com.

Joe H

Posted on: 2008/1/5 12:00
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Hall
See User information
Forgot to mention, Turner may possibly be convinced to put together Packard kits, if someone were to ask him.

Joe H

Posted on: 2008/1/5 12:03
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Joe, thanks for the info. I just sent a query to Turner asking about this. I will report back what they respond.

Posted on: 2008/1/5 13:11
-BigKev

Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Hall
See User information
Kev,
Over the years, I have bought several of Jim Turner's dual master cylinder conversions for Studes. They are an excellent safety upgrade for the OEM single reservoir system, and are a preliminary to the DB setup.

Jim's reputation is impeccable in the Stude community. I hope he is able to help the Packard folks out too, and feel sure he will if he can.

Joe H

Posted on: 2008/1/5 22:42
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I'm certainly interested in hearing more details.

Posted on: 2008/1/5 22:54
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bill
See User information
Thanks guy's for all of the helpful input on this matter. I am also checking with other brake manufacturers on a setup for Packard. I am also going to wire Turner Brake with a request for this product. I plan to use one of the hydroboost systems and I understand it can't be used with just drum brakes. If anything helpful comes by I will post it.
Rowdy

Posted on: 2008/1/5 23:19
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 4 ... 12 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved