Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
152 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 5
Guests: 147

Ozstatman, kevinpackard, Don B, 53 Cavalier, Larry Reber, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7)

Re: Power brake and standard trans.
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
HH56:
What is the maximum diameter power unit u can use with your set up the way it is????

Posted on: 2011/2/6 11:16
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Right now it's 7 because of a flange on the frame. Not sure what the flange is for either. Removing that if not needed for something would probably make 8" possible before running into the steering column. Even though it has no holes, it may be needed for something in the shift linkage. Am not making any permanent mods to the car though so have ruled touching it out.

As mentioned in another thread, I do not like the fussiness to clear steering needed with the long booster and have ordered another. Have also had an idea on how to simplify bracket even further and maybe move it up slightly which could help use larger diameter.

ABS advertises a 7 1/2 dual booster just slightly longer than the 7 single but they seem to have an exclusive on that booster or at least I haven't found it elsewhere. I like that size and could probably make it fit as is but don't want to lock into something that is not widely available.

If anyone has a 55 pedal out of the car, would sure like to get a picture and measurements on the back of it from the center of existing rod attachment to the edges. Earlier too would be nice. Am wanting to make a single pedal/rod attachment piece that would work for other years if possible.

Posted on: 2011/2/6 12:05
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Consider a STANDARD (non-power) brake pedal. The kind that come up thru the floor. Just the STEM of the pedal and foot pad. Not the arm that is under the floor. Probably the same such pedals are used 51 thru 56, maybe even earlier.

I'm wondering if such a pedal arrangement like that mite work in a more universal manner. Just weld or affix in some appropriate way to the SIDE lever u fabricated.

Of course it would not be 'oroginal' for Sr. level cars but mite be an alternative to consider when allowing for universal fit of your current mechanism.

Posted on: 2011/2/6 13:06
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I'm pretty happy with the linkage and pedal setup. Have the same lever principle discussed earlier but the rod to pedal piece was changed so it drops down instead of straight across. Aside from being on the left side of pedal, it is much closer to same height and angle into floor as the original. Unless some glaring oversight comes up, that is pretty final--except for the actual mounting piece to pedal.

Now it is just a matter of redoing the mount to take advantage of the shorter booster. Will compromise between angle needed to clear steering and depth to minimize bulge in floor. Once the other booster is here, should be able to finish it up and do some data collection.

Posted on: 2011/2/6 13:56
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Howard,

Here's a (poor) picture of the underside of the 55 BTV brake pedal in one of my parts cars. I had to take the picture with the pedal still in the car because I did not want to tear up the firewall insulation to get the pivot out.

Resized Image

The dimensions are:

4.0in pedal width (including rubber)
1.0in from P-side outside edge to the closest pin stand
2.0in from D-side outside edge to closest pin stand

Posted on: 2011/2/6 14:05
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Craig, thanks. Is this an approximation of the backside with the attachment point pretty much directly under the vertical support?

Attach file:

jpg  (17.47 KB)
209_4d4ef8327816c.jpg 400X341 px

Posted on: 2011/2/6 14:36
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Quote:
Is this an approximation of the backside with the attachment point pretty much directly under the vertical support?

Yes. There's a little left-right movement of the pedal because of slop in the upper pivot. There would also be some slop in the alignment of the BTV pushrod.

Craig

Posted on: 2011/2/6 15:35
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

pack1234
See User information
I have disconnected the master brake cylinder to overhaul it and now I cannot reconnect the various levers. It is a six cylinder 110 packard coupe with manual brakes. The master cylinder has three bolts, the top one is just a short bolt, the front one has a longer shaft with a lever attached to it and the rear one is a bolt longer than the first on. I cannot seem to reattach the levers. Can anyone help.

THANKS

Posted on: 2014/8/24 15:52
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

pack1234
See User information
I have disconnected the master brake cylinder to overhaul it and now I cannot reconnect the various levers. It is a six cylinder 110 packard coupe with manual brakes. The master cylinder has three bolts, the top one is just a short bolt, the front one has a longer shaft with a lever attached to it and the rear one is a bolt longer than the first on. I cannot seem to reattach the levers. Can anyone help.

THANKS

Posted on: 2014/8/24 15:52
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
What year and which levers are you having trouble with -- shift levers which partially mount to one of the master cyl mounting bolts or one of the brake actuating rods?

Posted on: 2014/8/24 16:45
Howard
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved