Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
169 user(s) are online (110 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 169

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 7 »

Re: Power brake and standard trans.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Quote:
This one is not the same. 2 levers on a shaft. Pedal pushes long one which turns shaft and twists or pushes the short cylinder levers. Cylinder has max travel of about 1 1/8" so max pedal travel currently is just over 3 inches and I'm allowing for 4 which should have pedal be at approx fact height.

From the one picture and your description, I drew up a rough sketch of what I think you have in mind. Have I got this right?

Resized Image

Posted on: 2010/12/28 10:17
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
PV8, thanks. The carpet fix is a good one. Was thinking along those lines but didn't think it would blend in as well. Maybe making the new hole exact size as old and using that plug to patch would work after all.

There is an adjustable (for now) rod going straight back from the center of arm at bolt. Milled out a spot for it in the arm back. Connects to the long lever which is just to left of that center brace. Current height would be at a good spot for locating a piece which would insert in back of arm to use the original 56 pedal. Maybe not good for older. If fading memory serves, those come down other side of steering column and make a bend. If so, would need something to enable rod either being on left of column or maybe lower. Can't quite remember the arrangement which is why the request for a picture.

The standard trans picture is not quite detailed enough. Was trying to get the distance the clutch pedal arm is from the left side of opening in floor. Was thinking maybe I could stop the mount at the center, keep all the shaft & levers mostly over on the booster side. Maybe make a triangular mount to attach to the floor on the bottom and right side & some kind of removable support across the top which would keep the clutch area free. If the clutch arm comes over very far or high, then that wouldn't work either so wouldn't waste the time.

EDIT to Craig. Pretty much except the long is on the left of center brace and is straight. Rod goes straight back from pedal arm. Short levers are the two heim joints connected to plate across the booster rod.

Posted on: 2010/12/28 10:47
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
HH56 wrote Quote:
If fading memory serves, those come down other side of steering column and make a bend. If so, would need something to enable rod either being on left of column or maybe lower. Can't quite remember the arrangement which is why the request for a picture.

1955 brake pedal arrangement off a parts car:

Resized Image

1956 (L) vs 1955 (R) brake pedals and hinges:

Resized Image

1956 can be adapted to 1955 no problem.

Posted on: 2010/12/28 11:13
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
HH56 wrote Quote:
The standard trans picture is not quite detailed enough. (snip)

Why are you even worried about standard shift cars since the vast majority are auto? Get the U/U-GS/T-U setup working first. I'll bet you could sell a bunch of these when coupled with the bolt-in MPB setup used by me and others. The main obstacle to a more general acceptance is the pedal rearrangement.

Posted on: 2010/12/28 11:23
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Craig, thanks. In order to use that, looks like the rod would have to attach at the upper left corner of pedal. Know it's narrower but vertical height wise, that location should be close to what I am doing with 56. Right now, the rod is 11" straight above angle of toe board/floor junction. Rod would be slightly lower and maybe have to bend on that but think it might be possible with current levers. Hope someone has a clutch picture & dimension--I think even standard brake one would work since clutch arm shouldn't change.

EDIT: Craig, just wanted to make one setup that would work for almost all back to 51 if possible. V8s seem to have the worst clearances so once dimensions are figured for this, will post details like Jerry did on his firewall mount for anyone that wants to tackle one.

Posted on: 2010/12/28 11:36
Howard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Decision time. There have been several people who have installed a modern system using various configurations. Is there any interest if I continue this exercise in doing it another way in the original spot? The way this is made, it provides a ratio of about 3.5:1, can be adjusted a bit & SHOULD work with older pedals and maybe with standard shift.

I've proven the concept to myself which was the main reason for the attempt, and am reasonably certain with the ratio, it will work at least as well as the conversions that require major pedal changes. Eliminating that really different pedal look & placement was the main factor here. A couple of things will be changed to simplify build if I do another.

Currently, am undecided if it's worth getting supplies and building another to document and then having it professionally welded. If no one wants the info, for my own use if I decide to go this way instead of BTV, just cleanup and a professional weld will work.

Attach file:

jpg  (116.51 KB)
209_4d2dec534afb3.jpg 1200X800 px

Posted on: 2011/1/12 13:00
Howard
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Mike
See User information
I would be interested. And I have a standard trans.

Posted on: 2011/1/12 14:46
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Howard: a picture with unit installed with pedal would be worth 1,000 words. Also, more light on the subject too.

Craig

Posted on: 2011/1/12 15:10
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Not sure how much better angle I can get showing pedal. 2 above plus another here. In order to work with clutch and earlier pedal, these are dimensions available.

Clutch height should not be a problem as there is 6 1/2 inches clear between firewall and where I mounted the steel plate over opening 3/4 up at bottom.

The width is the issue and no one was able to give me any dimensions to work with. There is only 3 3/4 at left of shaft end to edge of opening. I don't know how far in the clutch comes.

The dimension from the transmission corner by accelerator to straight below new mount point to pedal is 10". If the earlier pedal is much different sideways, Heim joints will allow a slight offset in any direction but would not want it to be too much. Currently the pedal is 5" off floor which is a tad higher than normal.

Attach file:

jpg  (45.71 KB)
209_4d2e100423e96.jpg 800X538 px

Posted on: 2011/1/12 15:33
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Howard: I could not see the pedal in your picture on my computer, so I downloaded it and increased the gamma to "blast it with some light." Here's what I got, so I can see it better now. Maybe this will help some others better understand what you are doing (click on image for bigger version):

Resized Image

Posted on: 2011/1/12 15:42
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 7 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved