Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
163 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 163

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Wiring Harness for a 1951 Packard 200 Deluxe
Just popping in
Just popping in

Ray Hernandez
See User information
Hello, I recently purchased a 1951 Packard 200 Deluxe 9my first project car). Everything seemed to be there but it obviously has many things that need to be worked on. After cleaning the cooling system, replacing water pump, cleaning the brake lines and rebuilding the brake cylinders and replacing the fuel tank I was able to get the engine started. Unfortunately in order to get it started I have to jump start it. Even though the battery seems to hold charge (6.0 to 6.4 volts) it will not start without jumping it. My guess is that since the Wiring Harness is in desperate need of replacement (insulation cracking and falling off) it may be shorting out somewhere. Any suggestions on where I can find a good quality at a reasonable price Wiring Harness? Or any suggestions as to what else could be the problem? Also, a new gas tank sending unit was installed but since the old one had no wires connected to it I'm trying to find out how to wire it. Any suggestions on how this is wired or does anyone know where I could get diagrams?

Thanks, PackBoy

Posted on: 2010/12/30 23:25
 Top  Print 

Re: Wiring Harness for a 1951 Packard 200 Deluxe
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Wiring diagrams are on site herehttp://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/article/view.article.php?268.

The sender is grounded via tank mount then has a single wire direct to one side of gauge. That is part of the main body loom going from trunk area to instrument cluster. If memory serves, the wire drops down out of loom and trunk thru a hole in a trough like channel between trunk floor and outside body panel just by the license plate. Other side of gas and temp gauge goes to a voltage regulator which is a small rectangular can located in the bottom center of cluster between two smaller circuit breakers. Hopefully you have the correct sender. It has to have approx 80 ohms at empty and 10 ohms at full. Important the wire is not grounded directly as the gauge can burn out.

When you jump, what exactly do you do? The coil is fed off ignition switch directly. The start switch also is fed from ign switch, thru trans neutral safety switch if you have an Ultramatic then to carb starter switch and then to starter solenoid. Any short would be smoking as there is no protection on that part of circuit. On the duplicate part of your question, JHH brought up a good point. If the voltage is dropping via bad connections or too small a battery cable, the spark may not be adquate

Replacing the loom properly will be expensive but depending on how authentic you want to be, others have used univeral looms. If that is something you want, here is a link to a supplier having one with proper 6v gauge wire.http://stores.ez2wire.com/StoreFront.bok

Attach file:

jpg  (46.91 KB)
209_4d1d6968e5cb0.jpg 790X469 px

Posted on: 2010/12/30 23:39
Howard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Ray,
Even though you're a long time member of PackardInfo, I see it's your first post, so like to say

Posted on: 2010/12/30 23:55
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

Ray Hernandez
See User information
Hi Howard, thanks so much for all the information. The new sender I got from Maxmerrit is identical to the old one that was in the tank which I also had to replace. I'll keep you posted.

Ray

Posted on: 2010/12/31 1:50
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

Ray Hernandez
See User information
Thanks Mal. Yes, a couple of years ago I started looking at packards and that is when I registered but not until a few months ago is when i actually was able to get the one I'm now working on. I know the basics about cars but I'm sure that with all of your (everyone's) help, ideas, support and suggestions I'm going to get this baby up and running soon.

Ray

Posted on: 2010/12/31 2:00
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Re your problem of only starting with a jump, you might take a quick look at the size of your battery cables. It's (unfortunately) rather common to find the unknowning have installed 12-volt battery cables which are totally inadequate. For 6-volt, 1-gauge battery cables should be a bare minimum and "O" gauge much preferred. Also you might clean the terminals paying particular attention to the ground connection.

Posted on: 2010/12/31 8:27
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

Ray Hernandez
See User information
Thanks Owen, I'll definitely look a the cables. One of them is wrapped with electrical tape which it is obviously not a good thing.

Thanks Ray

Posted on: 2011/1/2 22:36
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
Regarding the jump: just because the battery shows 6.4 volts when no current is being drawn does not mean the battery has the oomph to turn over the motor. Essentially, the batteries electrons are energetic enough to register 6.4 volts at rest, but there are just not enough of them to provide the necessary amps once the current starts to flow.

Charging an old, sulfated battery will not solve this problem.

You can test this by looking at how much the battery voltage drops when you try to run the starter. If it drops below about 4 (I think), your battery is probably toast.

Tom

Posted on: 2011/1/5 16:30
--
Thomas Wilcox
34 Roadster, [url=http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/r
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

Ray Hernandez
See User information
Hi Tom, Thanks for the suggestions. I'll test the battery per your suggestion and post the results.

Ray

Posted on: 2011/1/10 19:17
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Another very meaningful way to testing a battery is to check the specific gravity of the sulfuric acid with a battery hydrometer. A reading of 1.275 in all cells indicates a sound, fully charged battery. Any cell that refuses to rise to this level with repeated charging has sulfated and is probably NG.

The sulfuric acid is about 18%, enough to warrant care, safety goggles imperative and gloves recommended.

Posted on: 2011/1/10 19:27
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved