Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
88 user(s) are online (60 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 87

David Timberlake, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 »

Dyneto Charge Regulator
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Scott726
See User information
Hey guys, my 726 Stopped charging the other day and I found that a tiny lead (to the cut out relay) in the Dyneto Charge Regulator had broken. I was able to jump it with a few strands of copper wire and get it charging again but that's temporary at best. It has been recommended that I just have the generator converted from using the third brush function to a modern regulator. What does that entail and who does that kind of work? Pros and Cons?

Thanks in advance,

Scott

Posted on: 2008/1/7 22:44
 Top  Print   

Re: Dyneto Charge Regulator
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Last time I checked NAPA still offers the Dyneto regulator for the 33-34 Packards and at least until a year ago you could still buy the earlier regulator/cutout new from them. And of course there are folks that rebuild that type of control unit so on a vintage vehicle like yours where authenticity is important, I'd explore those two avenues before I'd cobble together some awkward and unsightly solution which really isn't necessary.

Posted on: 2008/1/8 0:06
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Scott726
See User information
Dave,

Thanks, that's good to know. I wouldn't consider retrofitting the OEM cutout/regulator if the new one wouldn't function markedly better AND look identical from the outside.

Posted on: 2008/1/8 0:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
I understand that the 726 normally has a cut-out only, as on my 533. I would consider a regulator to be a big upgrade. The original 726/733 generator is also flat-out at around 15 amps so try to pick up a generator from the 30's if you are going to run reasonable lights, indicators, etc. Best regards, eter Toet

Posted on: 2008/1/8 5:38
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tom (Packin31)
See User information
Hi Dave,

I had my generator rebuilt a few years ago and what the shop did was opened up the original cutout relay and replaced it with diodes or something on that order.

If you like I can go through my paper work for the name of the place and send it off to you?

Posted on: 2008/1/8 7:51
Tom
1931 833 468 Coupe
Packard Registry|1931 Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Scott726
See User information
Tom,

I would be interested in knowing who did that conversion for you so yes, please look in your paperwork and post the company name or PM me. Do you think they need the whole generator or they can just convert the cut-out relay itself?

Thanks, Scott

Posted on: 2008/1/8 11:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tom (Packin31)
See User information
Scott,

I am sure they can just convert your cut-out replay as long as you can dismount it from your generator and send it to them.

I will look tonight for the place that did mine and will post it here.

Take care

I attached my receipt for you Scott with the info. Wasn't to bad a price I thought. And wow I had that done almost 4 years ago how time flies.

Attach file:

jpg  (36.79 KB)
44_47841194a3570.jpg 550X800 px

Posted on: 2008/1/8 13:40
Tom
1931 833 468 Coupe
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Scott726
See User information
Owen Dyneto was right!

Well I had my broken cut out/regulator in a local auto electric shop to get updated to solid state. After a month of delays I just took it back and I'm glad I did. My 726 has a cut out that keeps the battery from draining back through the generator when it's not making enough juice AND and a set of points that opens and shuts the generator field line to regulate the voltage. I know Tom posted the business that rebuild the cut out for his car, my question is did they rebuild the regulator too?

I have ordered a later Autolite after market two wire cutout/ regulator as a temporary fix. The gent I ordered the Autolite unit from said there are no solid state replacements/rebuilds for the original Dyneto cut out/charge regulator. Anybody have any ideas what's out there and recommendations for someone to rebuild my original unit (back to stock if necessary)? Also, what's the going rate for a rebuild?

Thanks, Scott

Posted on: 2008/2/8 11:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tom (Packin31)
See User information
Hi Scott,

That was for rebuilding generator and converting the cutout replay.

Posted on: 2008/2/8 12:03
Tom
1931 833 468 Coupe
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I know I suggested this before, did you ever get to NAPA and check for one? As of about a year ago they still cataloged them, almost exactly original appearance, and about $38. I bought several of the 33-34 replacements for the Owen Dyneto and the only physical difference is an acorn nut in the center of the cover to attach it, rather than two screws at the side of the base. I'm sure I could find the Echlin/NAPA number for you.

Posted on: 2008/2/8 13:36
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved