Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
218 user(s) are online (157 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 5
Guests: 213

JohnCB, TxGoat, Don B, chevyboy, BDeB, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Seat Removal
Home away from home
Home away from home

J.R. Buzzell
See User information
Hey, all! I need to know how to remove the front and back seats of my '49. I have to see the carpeting underneath. Thanks!

Posted on: 2011/1/1 13:34
J.R. Buzzell

1949 23rd Series Deluxe Eight Touring Sedan
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/index.php?Action=view&ID=867
 Top  Print   

Re: Seat Removal
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Can't speak directly to 22-23 series but the 47 and 51-6 front is bolted thru the floor so probably the same on yours.

The front seat assy is held to the body by 4 bolts on each side at approx the corners of the slide tracks and going thru the floor with a nut underneath. There may be another one or two nuts toward the center drivers side if you have power adjust. Once those are removed, and the seat back lighter or courtesy light wiring if present is disconnected, the frame and seats will lift up and out as an assy--heavy and should have two people. If you just want to look at the carpets, the 47 seat cushion bottoms will push back from front and lift out of the frame without taking the whole assy out -- but not sure on yours.

The rear seat cushion -- if same as others -- will push in at approx the area between center and half way toward each outer side against a spring clip--maybe a foot off center. It may take some effort, but once pushed in and then lifted up off the clips it will slide forward and out. I don't know how much carpet is under it though other than maybe an inch or so at front edge.

Posted on: 2011/1/1 14:41
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary Marshall
See User information
Also on the question of seat removal, on the 54 Conv, is it just a question of removing 4 bolts to floor to take out seats?

Posted on: 2011/1/1 15:55
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Fronts should be the same. Again, on some seats the front bottom will lift out of the frame and then frame can be unbolted from tracks from top leaving them in place without having to go under. Others need to go under and come out completely.

On the rears, believe on all the cars, once the rear cushion is out, rear seat back is held in by a combination of bolts at the bottom which have to remove and then back lifts up and off clips at the top.

Haven't done a convertible so not sure if that rear cushion comes out the same or not.

Posted on: 2011/1/1 16:08
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gene
See User information
On my 1950 Super 8 I just lifted the seats out of the frames. On the front you lift up from the front and pull forward. Then you can slid it out the passenger side. The back worked pretty much the same way on mine. They worked the same way on most of the cars I owned up until about 1969 or so. If you just want to see the carpet that is all you need to do. There is no need to remove the frame. If you want to replace the carpet then you have to remove the frame if I remember correctly. BUT, I haven't really gotten into mine except to remove the seats and other objects that rodents might get in to before I get a chance to start working on it this spring.
Gene

Posted on: 2011/1/1 22:34
1949 Packard Super 8 Limousine
1939 Buick Special

War doesn't determine who's right; war determines who's left.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Quote:

HH56 wrote:
...The rear seat cushion -- if same as others -- will push in at approx the area between center and half way toward each outer side against a spring clip--maybe a foot off center. It may take some effort, but once pushed in and then lifted up off the clips it will slide forward and out. I don't know how much carpet is under it though other than maybe an inch or so at front edge.

Here's a picture of the location of the floor mounted clips which may help:

Attach file:

jpg  (10.88 KB)
188_4d1ff50f0afae.jpg 360X270 px

Posted on: 2011/1/1 22:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary Marshall
See User information
Thats really great, thanks guys
heres a pic of front seat i hope to achieve.
yes i need complete new carpet, from Kanters is best i believe.

Attach file:

jpg  (61.05 KB)
3217_4d2054f6a9162.jpg 800X600 px

Posted on: 2011/1/2 5:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Gary, if your car has a power seat like the one pictured, then the removal process will be more difficult. I have not done this on a power seat car, but others here have experience and can advise.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2011/1/2 12:02
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary Marshall
See User information
Ok John, when Ross gets back from Africa I can ask him. I did nit think it had powered seats, until I saw that link. Maybe he just added it. Perhaps more experienced people can tell me.

Posted on: 2011/1/2 12:43
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved