Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
128 user(s) are online (83 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 125

Daniel Leininger, DJP-37-120, humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 »

Distributor swap
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Carl Hamilton
See User information
Will the Delco distributor 110865 substitute for the Autolite 1BJ-4001D that is installed in my 1956 Clipper 352 engine?
My logic for this swap is that an electronic module is available for the Delco and to my knowledge there is not one available for the Autolite. Thanks,Carl

Posted on: 2011/1/2 2:49
 Top  Print   

Re: Distributor swap
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I've never tried the swap but they should be interchangeable. The only catch MIGHT be the gear. Check the parts manual to determine if the distributor gears are the same OR just be sure u get a Delco with a gear on it. Caps and rotor and points mite be different.

Not sure why u want the e-ignition but to each his own.

Posted on: 2011/1/2 9:47
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Be sure to carry a SPARE control module in the car for the e-ignition. What's the cost of a spare control module?????

Posted on: 2011/1/2 9:58
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
See Page 3. NO distributor swap needed. Uses LOCAL parts store off-the-shelf parts. Ford TFI conversion. The man who came up with this was a real ace at these kind of things. Havn't tried it yet myself:

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=3290&forum=12&post_id=40437#forumpost40437

Posted on: 2011/1/2 10:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
"Not sure why u want the e-ignition but to each his own."

I went with pertronix e-ignition so that condenser issues, points gap and dwell problems were a thing of the past. Literally make sure you're timing is good and you're set to go.

Posted on: 2011/1/2 11:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
ok. What do u do when the e-ignition control module becomes an "issue" (when it goes bad)???? Is a bad control module in someway better than a bad condensor???? Condensor about $5. Control module $50-$200.

Posted on: 2011/1/2 11:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Quote:

Carl Hamilton wrote:
Will the Delco distributor 110865 substitute for the Autolite 1BJ-4001D that is installed in my 1956 Clipper 352 engine?
My logic for this swap is that an electronic module is available for the Delco and to my knowledge there is not one available for the Autolite. Thanks,Carl

When I bought my '55 Clipper Super, it had a Delco distributor with the Petronic (sp.?) conversion. I had the Delco distributor removed and the proper stock Autolite distributor installed. So, to answer your question, yes a Delco will fit, mechanically, but don't know how well it will work due to different advance specifications. My guess is you would not be able to notice the difference. Someone here should have your answer. Or, you could check the manuals section and compare the two distributor specifications.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2011/1/2 12:21
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
PackardV8 wrote Quote:
ok. What do u do when the e-ignition control module becomes an "issue" (when it goes bad)???? Is a bad control module in someway better than a bad condensor???? Condensor about $5. Control module $50-$200.

Put in a MSD-5 instead. It uses stock points, etc and will convert back to stock with merely a jumper wire (supplied). The beauty of the MSD is that it reduces the current through the points to practically zero while providing multiple spark on each firing. I've had one on my 55 Pat for about 10 years and never had a problem.

Craig

Posted on: 2011/1/2 12:26
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
I have a Crane Hi-6 multispark system in my Volvo for 10 years without a problem. It is a very reliable and easy to install system also.

Posted on: 2011/1/2 14:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
No one who actually runs a pertronix has ever reported a failure. You're more likely to blow two tires, throw a driveshaft, or other issue causing your car to need to be towed than have the pertronix fail and need towed. The only people who worry about failures are people who haven't run one.

I've run 3 on different models so far over the last 5 or so years, and none have ever failed.

I did have a pertronix brand coil fail, but it was on a boat and i did use the cheap one instead of the epoxy filled one that they called for.

With that said, you can swap the breaker plate on the side of the road to run it back to points if you're that worried.

Posted on: 2011/1/2 15:02
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved