Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
178 user(s) are online (101 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 176

37Blanche, Dennis Miller, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 14 15 16 (17) 18 19 20 ... 33 »

Re: far away from home
Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
The 2nd picture looks like an early version of a chevy avalanche

Posted on: 2014/11/30 13:31
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Click to see original Image in a new window

Quote:
My mind is blown by the high quality metal forming in the second photo. It's a magnificent piece of work in a late forties style...

Ross, the absence of interesting and sometimes even breath-taking curves such as those, I miss on a couple of postwar Packards. It is my belief, that such kind of design vocabulary could have been a potential base of a great continuation of the golden 1930s decade and one of the necessary steps to the right direction.
The picture below shows another Packard-based fire truck whose flowing body lines adumbrate the desired degree of freedom of form language.

sources
pic #1: kuvapankki.pelastustieto.fi
pic #2: Adriaan Kriek; www.historical-fire-engines.com]
Click to enlarge!

Posted on: 2014/11/30 14:59
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
This car seems to be snapshotted during the Spanisch Civil War, which was fought from July 17, 1936 to April 1, 1939. Note RHD and manually overpainted hubcaps.

[picture source: camionesclasicos.com] Click to enlarge!

Attach file:

jpg  (71.79 KB)
757_54877091442bc.jpg 700X485 px

Posted on: 2014/12/9 16:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
"A U.S. Army soldier of the 4th Armored Division observes the wreckage of a destroyed German column. Amongst the burnt out vehicles are a 1938 Packard Series Six and a Renault AHN cargo truck. Avranches, Manche, Lower Normandy, France. July 1944."

[source: liberationfestival.com] Click to enlarge!

Attach file:

jpg  (138.20 KB)
757_549adb2bf0b46.jpg 1071X1280 px

jpg  (20.82 KB)
757_549add1bca3c6.jpg 590X424 px

Posted on: 2014/12/24 10:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information

Below marked is a so-called Notek light, made by Nova Technik Munich, a standard feature of all Wehrmacht cars.
Products of Notek have been available even in the English-speaking world after the war.

sources
pic #1 - vincesgallery.smugmug.com
pic #2 - liberationfestival.com
pic #3 - ebay, item number 111392254148
pic #4 - trixum.de
pic #5 - oldclassiccar.co.uk
Click to enlarge!

Attach file:

jpg  (21.36 KB)
757_549b2b1fc51cf.jpg 590X424 px

jpg  (36.09 KB)
757_549b2b3ce02d0.jpg 814X613 px

jpg  (25.94 KB)
757_549b2b49bff1a.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (71.92 KB)
757_549b2b5883e75.jpg 500X746 px

Posted on: 2014/12/24 16:09
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Gerd, I had a similar pair of lights wecalled "blackout lights" mounted on my game warden truck years ago. They were military surplus. They worked quite well by casting enough light on the road in front allowing the vehicle to be driven at a slow speed at night without causing a glare that could be seen at a long distance by deer poachers. On moonlight nights we often drove with no lights but that could be dangerous like the night I drove my truck into a fallen tree! That was an interesting accident report to compose. Very interesting photos of someones private car commandeered for military service I suspect.Thank you for posting a very interesting set of photos.

Posted on: 2014/12/24 16:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
...at a slow speed at night without causing a glare that could be seen at a long distance by deer poachers. On moonlight nights we often drove with no lights but that could be dangerous...

Dave, it might well be that I've seen too many movies these Christmas days but anyway, does that mean that you changed the game in such a way, that the hunters became the hunted?

[source: diecast.org] Click to enlarge!

Attach file:

jpg  (63.49 KB)
757_549b7300701f1.jpg 765X600 px

Posted on: 2014/12/24 21:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Hmmmmmm. Now that makes me wonder. Could a deer be shined with a black out lite instead of a headlite taped to a motysickle battery.. I'm not a deer hunter but if food gets much more expensive i mite have to start.

Posted on: 2014/12/24 21:25
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Post #163 above, pic labeled spain.jpg:
Note that the car seems to set rather high. Especialy in the front.. Possibly 4 wheel drive???

Posted on: 2014/12/24 22:03
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Gerd, yes game wardens do hunt the hunters in situations when deer poaching is involved. We had several techniques that involved "baiting" the hunter.; primitive but effective.Today the wardens use night vision equipment, aerial patrols and artificial deer (also moose and bear ,)made of styrofoam and are able to remotely move the head and tail. They are quite effective in luring poachers into taking a shot. Some would call it entrapment I suppose. I would call it good law enforcement but I am biased.
Packard V8 I would suspect that a black out light attached to a battery would work as a "jack light." Most amateur night hunters use very powerful spotlights which can be seen for miles on dark nights. I am pretty sure some of the long time residents in the hills of Tennessee have perfected deer poaching at night to a science. The ones I have met sure we're first class bear hunters.

Posted on: 2014/12/24 23:29

« 1 ... 14 15 16 (17) 18 19 20 ... 33 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved