Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
73 user(s) are online (48 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 71

Sharkey, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 7 8 9 (10) 11 12 13 ... 33 »

Re: far away from home
Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
According to this source the below shown car is a 1941 Clipper. I don't know what that Packard brought to Bulgaria but to find back home the odds are long.

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 2011/5/13 15:18
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
If only that old Packard could talk. Maybe a war relic?

Posted on: 2011/5/13 15:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Well, in the whirlpool of war events almost everything was possible. But let's not forget that Bulgaria had an official Packard importer.

Quote:
...Their dealership network overseas as of 1938 was very extensive and included Albania, Arabia, Argentia, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Boliva, Brazil, British East Africa, British Honduras, British West Indies, Bulgaria, Burma, Ceylon, Chile, China, Columbia, Costa Rica, Cuba, Czechoslavia, Denmark, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Egypt, England, Estonia, Finland, France, French Indo-China, French West Indies, Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Guatemala, Haiti, Hawaii, Honduras, Hungary, Iceland, India, Iran, Iraq, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Latvia, Lithuania, Mexico, Morocco, the Netherlands, Netherlands East Indies, Netherlands West Indies, Newfoundland, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Norway, Palestine, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Philippine Islands, Portugal, Portugese East Africa, Puerto Rico, Rhodesia - Northern and Southern, Roumania, Salvador, South-west Africa, Straights Settlement, Sweden, Switzerland, Syria, Tunisia, Turkey, Union of South Africa, Uruguay, Venezuela, & Yugoslavia...
[according to OD]

This link leads to a current Packard offer in Bulgaria.

[picture source:http://www.virtualparking.net/vehicle-295-1938_packard_sedan.htm]

Attach file:

jpg  (30.32 KB)
757_4dcd9b003ebe5.jpg 530X398 px

jpg  (20.95 KB)
757_4dcd9b0ce71d3.jpg 530X398 px

jpg  (30.41 KB)
757_4dcd9b32be255.jpg 530X398 px

Posted on: 2011/5/13 15:57
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Just prior to WW II, Packard's dealer in Bulgaria was:

Lazare Gberon
6, Boulevard Zar Osvoboditel
Sofia

Posted on: 2011/5/13 16:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Dave, thanks. Today we'll visit a Packard in a museum located in Moscow. Not the smallest one. To visit the museum in its entirety would take up a lot of time. Let's say, just hypothetically, that we would confine ourself to visit only one of its various departments, as for instance the war department. But even this restriction wouldn't really help, it can't be done in a day. To conceive an idea of its vast extent imagine that its collection of tanks alone consists of almost 100 vehicles (even 170 acc. to other sources) - and it doesn't claim to be specialized in tanks. The talk is of the property rooms of Mosfilm, a film studio which is known for its epic movies.

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/quHnKgfwoB0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Attach file:

jpg  (56.80 KB)
757_4dd051d20f57c.jpg 704X528 px

Posted on: 2011/5/15 17:21
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Gusha, not to digress to far, but have you ever visited the Deutsches Museum (of science and industry) in Munich? I found it every bit as wonderful as our own Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago.

Posted on: 2011/5/15 17:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Owen_Dyneto Quote:
Gusha, not to digress to far, but have you ever visited the Deutsche Museum (of science and industry) in Munich? I found it every bit as wonderful as our own Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago.

Dave, I visited it many times when I lived in Munich in 1995. Indeed it is a world-class museum, on a par with one anywhere. A "don't miss" if you are in Germany.

Posted on: 2011/5/15 17:45
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
"The Deutsches Museum (German Museum) in Munich, Germany, is the world's largest museum of technology and science,[1] with approximately 1.5 million visitors per year and about 28,000 exhibited objects from 50 fields of science and technology..." [wikipedia]

M?nchen, Bavaria, German Museum of Masterpieces of Science and Technology

Dave, Craig, thanks for mentioning that museum. It would be definitely wrong to say that I know it. I've read that it stores more than 10,000,000 exhibits in its several basement storage rooms and restoration departments on various locations. Once I visited the museum to view its enginehouse but landed up in its musical instruments collection. Thereafter I've bought a commutation ticket. It is a giant in both quantity and quality. Unfortunately it is too far away from home to go by car or train, one and a half flight hour lying in between.

BTW Just a day before yesterday I told Jim (39super8) in the chat that we'll travel to Berlin this week to visit the German Historical Museum. I enjoy museums, fairs and exhibitions to the fullest and would love to visit the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago.

Berlin, German Historical Museum

Posted on: 2011/5/15 19:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Quote:

Guscha wrote:
According to this source the below shown car is a 1941 Clipper. I don't know what that Packard brought to Bulgaria but to find back home the odds are long.

Guscha, I don't think it is a 1941 (19th Series) Clipper. If I am not mistaken the 1941 Clippers only came in one body style, a junior level 8-cylinder 4-door sedan to supplement the One Twenties. The Clipper pictured looks to be a long wheel base 7-passenger model. This and the short horizontal grille bars makes me think it is a senior (160 or 180) 1942 model. So, the question is: when did it come to Bulgaria? Must have arrived after the war. Maybe its earlier life was as an embassy car?

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2011/5/16 10:14
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
John, with view at the below shown photograph which can be found in the model info I think the short horizontal grille bars are correct for a 1941 Clipper.

As for the LWB I trust your eyes more than mine, knowing that you own a Clipper.

The web contains some few information about Bulgarian Packards and contrary to Russia even a couple of postwar cars.

[picture source: www.classiccars.zonebg.com]

Attach file:

jpg  (56.59 KB)
757_4dd2a4aa634ac.jpg 500X376 px

Posted on: 2011/5/17 11:36
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 7 8 9 (10) 11 12 13 ... 33 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved