Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
263 user(s) are online (158 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 5
Guests: 258

Don B, West Peterson, 37Blanche, 52 Mayfair, TxGoat, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Hood ornament...substitution?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

RussBees
See User information
We own a 1002 that has the correct hood ornament that is also the radiator cap which could be easily stolen. I would remove the ornament if sitting in a motel parking lot overnight but anyone have a suggestion for a substitution mean while? Something more elegant than rags?

Posted on: 2011/1/19 17:41
 Top  Print   

Re: Hood ornament...substitution?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Denny Z
See User information
Won't a standard (modern) radiator cap fit? I've done the switch with my Chief Pontiac ornament on our '27 Pontiac when away from it at night...or parked it in the trailer!

Posted on: 2011/1/19 18:21
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
No standard radiator caps for under-hood radiators that I'm aware of will fit because the locking lugs are so far below the shell. Of course "in the day" you removed the elegant cap with mascot and replaced it with the plain bail cap. What I put on my car overnight at a show is an old, pitted cap base (minus the ornament) that I picked up at a flea market for $25. Should be easy enough to find one cheaply at the larger flea markets or eBay.

Posted on: 2011/1/19 18:54
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If held on via bail, and real ones prove elusive, what are the chances of having some kind of simple cover made of brass or aluminum turned out on a lathe to cover the opening.

Posted on: 2011/1/19 19:34
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
What is the possibility of drilling a tiny hole in a hidden area of the base and installing a set screw?????

Or the possibility of a cable looped thru the ornament and then locked to a solid part of the car. Remove cable at shows.

Posted on: 2011/1/19 20:05
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
What is the ID and OD of the filler neck????

Posted on: 2011/1/19 20:11
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I assume your 33 uses a cap closure with 3 locking lugs at 120 degrees apart? My 34 and I assume your 1933 were originally equipped with a safety chain soldered down in the neck of the radiator and fastened to the base of the cap. Not that the chain fastener on the cap base was all that secure against someone with tools.

PS - Russ, here's a thought. You can buy the 3-eared locking portion of the cap as a bronze repro for small money. Use it to fashion some sort of inexpensive overnight temporary cap.

Posted on: 2011/1/19 21:28
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

RussBees
See User information
Owen:

Hope I have the name correct? These ideas give me something to think about. These darn hood ornaments are so attractive sometimes to the wrong people that not sure trying to keep it on the car via a hidden screw or chain, etc., would help as some are likely to damage the car in trying to remove the ornament any way they can. I like the old rusty or pitted cap idea the best. Anyone have such? Thanks ALL.

Russ

Posted on: 2011/1/20 22:24
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved