Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
161 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 160

humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Ultramatic Saga
Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Weeks
See User information
Okay, got the 'new old stock converter' installed at the transmission shop and the car is still not taking off in high "H" for some reason. The tranny guy asked me to see if any of you guys knew about:

1. The 'converter releif valve' in the return cooling line which goes into the back of the transmission, it looks as if it was ground off. Were these ever ground off as a form of modification? He said it is missing and it looks as though it was ground off, could that have been a 'fix' that was done routinely, or is mine supposed to be there just MIA?

2. When the engine is started the transission isn't filling the torque converter with fluid. Is this common and what is usually the problem when that happens?

I want to thank in advance anybody who can help with this, it has been a long road to recovery for my poor old Packie!! I just want to get her back on the road where she belongs.

Paul

Posted on: 2011/1/28 14:44
 Top  Print 

Re: Ultramatic Saga
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
1. I SWEAR that i saw that as a service counselor on this site. It said to check all ultramatics fluid level within one minute of shutting it off instead of the stated 5 because it wouldn't be accurate because of converter drain back or something. It said to check them all that way because you'd have no idea if it had the counselor update or not without taking that apart to see if it had been ground off. It literally said to grind it off too, no beating around the bush.

2. I'm not an expert by ANY MEANS on ultramatics (or anything...) but, from Ross's advice, the ultramatic manual, and others' input, i believe that it's the front pumps job to fill the converter, and i would focus on that and the front bushings in that area, which could cause low pressure with too much tolerance.

If the car takes off in low (or any gear), i would think that there would have to be fluid in the converter. I thought it couldn't drive the car without it having fluid insider to be the coupler between the motor and tranny. Or maybe i'm understanding your symptoms wrong?

HEY! YOU HAVE A 50! Ask the shop, on the rear passenger side of the tranny where the TV linkage arm hooks to the tranny, does it point up or does the arm point down?!

Posted on: 2011/1/28 15:03
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
KNEW I'D FIND IT!

http://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/STB/50T-61.pdf

Is this what you're talking about?

Posted on: 2011/1/28 15:07
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Quote:

cortcomp wrote:

HEY! YOU HAVE A 50! Ask the shop, on the rear passenger side of the tranny where the TV linkage arm hooks to the tranny, does it point up or does the arm point down?!

Is this the photo you need? My '50 Ultramatic shifts fine.
It points down.

Attach file:

jpg  (12.67 KB)
188_4d432dc74c853.jpg 360X270 px

Posted on: 2011/1/28 15:57
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
That pic is helpful, but i'm talking about the arm to the rear where the left link in that picture goes to.

Posted on: 2011/1/28 16:04
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
OK, how 'bout this one:

Attach file:

jpg  (12.30 KB)
188_4d43346f52b6c.jpg 360X270 px

Posted on: 2011/1/28 16:26
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
That's it!

So it DOES point up!!!

Thank you much for those, will make it a lot easier!

Posted on: 2011/1/28 16:43
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
BTW, your 50 is one SEXY car...with the 356 no less!

Posted on: 2011/1/28 17:19
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
What all has been done to the trans--a complete rebuild or just the converter. There are some very good troubleshooting tips toward the end of the Ultramatic section in the 51-4 service manual. Has the mechanic done any of them?

Pressure checks would seem to be in order and except for the throttle valve, are relatively easy to do on that trans. Except for throttle pressure, no special tools other than a pressure gauge or two, some hose and standard brass fittings. Symptoms sound rather like a valve problem & pressure tests would be about the best way to isolate what is going on.

200 psi pressure gauges can be ordered from McMaster-Carr for $10-15 ea and are adequate for this purpose. I bought some locally many years ago & total wasn't too bad for everything needed.

Posted on: 2011/1/28 18:29
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Weeks
See User information
My transmission guy said it points up. I see the pictures, so now I don't know what to tell you. Mine points up. Thanks for the info on the service bulletin. I have passed that on already!

Posted on: 2011/1/28 18:40
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved