Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
162 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 162

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 9 10 11 (12) 13 14 15 16 »

Re: There are rumors in circulation...
Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
...OK, let's get back to ZIL/ZIS/Chaika! Anyone know if the factories that made those cars are still producing vehicles? I loved Gorbachev's huge square looking ZIS (?) back in the 80s... it reminded me of a Dodge Polara in the front. Is there a successor to that car?

Masterfully crafted, hopelessly outdated, angularly ironmade and beyond remedy - as ever.
Well, the indomitable pride is gone.

Attach file:

jpg  (49.29 KB)
757_52bd6b5c46e07.jpg 366X1024 px

Posted on: 2013/12/27 6:28
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

R Anderson
See User information
Thanks Gerd, that is some big hunk of metal. What a shame that such big and impressive cars are no longer made there. What is the largest car still being made in Russia today? (Or do they just import them from the West, M-B etc?)

So then what was the (earlier?) car that, to me, looked similar in front to something like a 1970 Dodge, without the big formal grille of this one shown above?

That link picture is somehow touching. One thinks of the many who died for that.

Posted on: 2013/12/28 15:47
56 Clipper Deluxe survivor
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
Thanks Gerd, that is some big hunk of metal. What a shame that such big and impressive cars are no longer made there...

Sorry, my fault. I've tried to express the belief that the former pride of the autoworker is gone. But the cars they produce as ever. Today it is a job for them and not a matter of national importance. Every once in a while private collectors order a ZIL to get a "real soviet" car instead of Western mass-produced noble metal.

Can you identify the driver?

[picture source: www.pixdaus.com]

Attach file:

jpg  (63.27 KB)
757_52bf485b6c195.jpg 900X600 px

Posted on: 2013/12/28 16:05
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
... So then what was the (earlier?) car that, to me, looked similar in front to something like a 1970 Dodge, without the big formal grille of this one shown above? ...

Like a 1970 Dodge? Revolves your question around the cars with the twin headlamps similar to 1960s Dodge's?
Below is another photograph from the East German government motor pool. The pic, taken at the fenced government district, shows a "111 G" on its first test drive.

Attach file:

jpg  (31.34 KB)
757_52bf5a239e3a2.jpg 500X321 px

Posted on: 2013/12/28 18:09
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
The driver of the Mercedes looks more like Vlad the Impaler than Putin.

Posted on: 2013/12/28 20:23
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

R Anderson
See User information
Yes I believe that one looks like the car I was thinking about, Gerd. More modern looking than the '55 Packard-like ZIL, but not as new or as angular as the one that Gorbachev had. Were there other models between this 111-G and Gorby's car? Someone should publish a picture/text book in English: "The Complete History of Cars of the USSR and Russia" with photos, facts and specifications!

Posted on: 2014/1/1 15:38
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
...Were there other models between this 111-G and Gorby's car?...

Yes, after the 111G came its convertible version "D", followed by the 114/117 generation, prototypes aside. Enjoy a test drive in a 114, accompanied by nice, catchy and very typical Soviet movie music of the early 70s.

<iframe width="500" height="281" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/AYXnbvwQIWs?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Posted on: 2014/1/1 23:59
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

R Anderson
See User information
What a cool video! Almost makes one wish to be "Back in the USSR"! The only word I caught, being ignorant of Russian, was "Americanski", so maybe the narrator was comparing the 114 to some American car? The instrument panel is very unique in appearance.

Gorbachev's car looks almost the same as Brezhnev's, except for details like the upright formal grille. The 111-G has a front design somewhat reminiscent of a '65 Dodge Polara, while the 114 is somewhat similar to a "fuselage body" Imperial. They didn't have Packard for inspiration any more!

Have you ever ridden in or driven any of these cars Gerd? It must be an experience very few have had. Since when as a kid I saw the '55 Packard-appearing ZILs, I've always been totally fascinated by the big and impressive automobiles of the Soviet elite. There was nothing like them in Europe in the '50s and 60s, the closest thing, big M-Bs and Rolls, were not at all like American cars, but the big Soviet cars of the Party elite certainly were.

Posted on: 2014/1/2 16:20
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
"...There's no antique car culture in Russia because Russians don't value their own history, Lakhmetkin said. The just like showing off..."

Click to see original Image in a new window

sources
quotation: bloomberg.com
image: xexe.club

Posted on: 2015/6/20 10:26
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
When the driver first gets in and before the car moves he pushes a button low on the center dash. Is that a pushbutton transmission selector down there or something else?

Posted on: 2015/6/20 10:38
Howard
 Top  Print 

« 1 ... 9 10 11 (12) 13 14 15 16 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved