Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
249 user(s) are online (153 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 248

Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Gauge Color
Home away from home
Home away from home

J.R. Buzzell
See User information
Hello again, everybody! Hope everyone had a great New Year's Day. I have yet another question about my car. When I bought it, it had a siover colored speedometer, and a gold colored clock. The clock no longer is in operation, so I now must buy a NOS one from Kanter. I need to know if the 23rd series had the gold or silver colored gauges, so that I don't have mismatched gauges again. Thanks!

Posted on: 2011/1/29 13:35
J.R. Buzzell

1949 23rd Series Deluxe Eight Touring Sedan
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/index.php?Action=view&ID=867
 Top  Print   

Re: Gauge Color
Home away from home
Home away from home

dallas
See User information
I'm no expert but I believe the gold colored ones were for senior cars and the silver for junior cars. If the clock needs repair try Instrument Services Inc. Roscoe,Illinois 800-558-2674

Posted on: 2011/1/29 21:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
22 series gold, 23 series grey.

Posted on: 2011/1/30 8:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
I did my 23rd series clock, it was cake. Usually have to solder one wire, clean a small set of points, clean and oil mechanism and good to go! I believe 51packard did his clock too. There's an easy test to tell if it can be done the easy way or sent out for repair if you're interested.

I have a 50 standard eight, and the gauge color looks like a bronzish color. I don't know if it used to be silver and changed over time, it does look that way. If you clean the faces in a hidden spot with rubbing alcohol, it comes back as silver, but that might be cleaning off what they colored it with, and not just grime.

Posted on: 2011/1/30 9:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
It seems odd that the parts manual doesn't appear to show any difference at all that might account for gauge/clock/speedometer color. Same part numbers for all models, regardless of 22nd or 23rd series.

Posted on: 2011/1/30 10:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

J.R. Buzzell
See User information
So what I'm leaning towards is that the clock should be silver, because the speedometer is also silver. Upon further inspection I also see that the numbers around the gauges are also silver. Thanks for the help!

Posted on: 2011/1/31 17:33
J.R. Buzzell

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/index.php?Action=view&ID=867
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
It should match the rings around the gauges with the numbers (speed/time), i can confirm that.

Posted on: 2011/1/31 17:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

J.R. Buzzell
See User information
Right, so I'll have to get a silver clock. Thanks!

Posted on: 2011/2/3 8:29
J.R. Buzzell

Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved