Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
77 user(s) are online (44 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 77

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 8 9 10 (11)

Re: Snapey's 1935 Racing Biposto
Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Snapey, thanks for the video. The driver has to jerk the large wheel violently. Imagine to do this in a race more than an hour. German racing-car drivers wore gloves, Mr. DePalma was a bit more touchy-feely.

"June 1, 1918. The Italian racecar driver Ralph DePalma and mechanic in the Packard that won the Harkness Handicap at Sheepshead Bay Speedway in Brooklyn. 5x7 glass negative, George Grantham Bain Collection."

Click to see original Image in a new window

source: www.shorpy.com

Close inspection reveals: no front brakes!

Posted on: 2012/5/7 7:33
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
Guscha wrote:...Close inspection reveals: no front brakes!...
The norm for cars of that era, well road cars at least. The object of this car was to go fast, not slow down!

I also see the rear brakes have large circular holes for lightening and cooling.

Posted on: 2012/5/7 18:15
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Mal, PackardInfo offers way more than 8,000 topics. You really think that a race car driven by Ralph THE ROCKET DePalma and advisedly used to inspire Snapey's soaring dreams of a racing biposto could be the most suitable to talk about norm cars?

No, not the norm in 1918 but race cars are forerunners, literally.
--> 1909
--> 1918 even a truck

Click to see original Image in a new window
source: flickr.com

Posted on: 2012/5/8 16:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Matt snape
See User information
We have not long returned from a weekend at the Winton Motor Race Circuit(http://www.wintonraceway.com.au/beautiful-classic-machinery-out-in-force-at-historic-winton.html ) in Victoria where I was racing in our Amilcar Willys monoposto special. The car was not running well and had a bad miss under load which it suffered from all weekend - but we still had a great time with some close racing - especially between myself and a Type 37 Bugatti (OMG!!!!!!!!).

Anyway, I feel a little more inspired to get some work done on the biposto now, so must almost be time to dust of the bench in the shed and... hang on... it's the wifes birthday this weekend and we are going away. OK - so next weekend I'll get a nice early start... oh, that's right, I wanted to catch up with a friend of mine out west that might have some Stromberg carby bits I can have. All right - so on Sunday I'll just have to... no, wait a minute. I promised I would take the dog along to our 'Working Dog' club for some sheep herding and some RnR.

Crap!

Anyway, when I get a few minutes I'll post some pics of what we got up to last weekend as well as some very special photos of that Jesse Vincent Packard Speedster that a friend gave me on the weekend... watch this space.

Posted on: 2012/5/30 4:50
If at First You Don't Succeed - Skydiving is Not For You...
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
...Anyway, when I get a few minutes I'll post some pics of what we got up to last weekend as well as some very special photos of that Jesse Vincent Packard Speedster that a friend gave me on the weekend... watch this space.

Yes, I do.
Matt, my dear friend, I watch this space for over a decade. I hope you will forgive my impatience as I ask you today to share with us the very special photos of this Jesse Vincent Packard Speedster that a friend gave you on May 26th or 27th, 2012.

Quote:
...Anyway, I feel a little more inspired to get some work done on the biposto now, so must almost be time to dust of the bench in the shed and... hang on... it's the wifes birthday..."

It's not easy to inspire you after what seems like an extended birthday celebration - but it's definitely worth a try. You were interested in this thread back then. -> There starts its continuation.
Attached you will find a picture of the Soviet approach at the time. What do you think of this arrangement?

Attach file:

jpg  ZIS engine with four carbs.jpg (74.00 KB)
757_6537f5df9123d.jpg 750X616 px

Posted on: 2023/10/24 11:50
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 8 9 10 (11)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved