Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
154 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 151

RCJ56, Todd W. White, Tobs, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Fuel Gauge Liquid - King Seeley Hydrostatic Gauge
Home away from home
Home away from home

32model901
See User information
This is what the samples looked like before the first sun exposure test.

Attach file:

jpg  (72.31 KB)
1584_4d7cfdb22a7f9.jpg 304X310 px

Posted on: 2011/3/13 12:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

32model901
See User information
Pictures of the gauge fluid after one weeks exposure to the sun.

Both samples faded badly. I was able to obtain a sample of the dye used in the 20's / 30's that is not used in the current gauge fluid.

I've dyed the current samples and set them out in the sun to see how they stand up.

Results to follow....

Attach file:

jpg  (77.11 KB)
1584_4d7cfee9ca6c2.jpg 479X446 px

jpg  (77.00 KB)
1584_4d7cfef5e9755.jpg 529X498 px

Posted on: 2011/3/13 12:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

32model901
See User information
Both samples were dyed with a red a aniline dye and then put back in the sun.

These samples had better color retention although the red dye looks to have separated from the acetylene tetrabromide.

The source I found for gauge liquids:

http://www.king-gage.com/

http://www.king-gage.com/index.php/lit/msds.html

King Gage Engineering Corp.
94 Mendon Street, Suite 100
Hopedale, MA 01747
Phone No.: 508-482-0033 (ask for Heather)
Fax No.: 888-435-1062

Web Site:http://www.kinggageengineering.com/

King Gage, No. 294 Red Indicating Liquid - is what I'm testing. Comes in 8 & 18 oz. containers. Be prepared to pay approx. $85 for shipping via UPS just because it's a hazardous substance.

So far even this liquid has faded in the sun. I located a sample of Sudan Red, another red dye.

Going to try dyeing the liquid from King Gage with the Sudan Red and run the sun exposure test again....results to follow...

Posted on: 2011/3/26 9:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

32model901
See User information
Here are the latest results of testing:

The two samples that I dyed with aniline dye have spent two weeks in the sun. The color didn't fade but there was some separation between the dye and fluid.

I was able to obtain a sample of Sudan Red dye, in a 1% solution. This 1% solution is used as a dye for biological samples. From what I've been able to find out Sudan Red may have been used in the original 30's fluid.

A sample dyed with the 1% Sudan Red had good color retention and no separation after two weeks in the sun.

My next test is to see if I can get a small sample of Sudan Red in powder form and use a little to dye the acetylene tetrabromide I purchased from King Gauge.

The 1% solution was not strong enough to color the acetylene tetrabromide I had, without greatly changing the density, which would have affected the fuel gauge accuracy.

Based on the two week sun test I should be able to dye the acetylene tetrabromide from King Gauge with Sudan Red powder and have a fuel gauge liquid that is red and doesn't fade.

I also tried using red food coloring, without good results.

I think I should ask BigKev to move this to a project forum....

Cheers....

Attach file:

jpg  (73.72 KB)
1584_4d98eb177871f.jpg 336X427 px

jpg  (71.17 KB)
1584_4d98eb2c33798.jpg 698X1600 px

Posted on: 2011/4/3 16:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
Have you tried something dumb like Marvel Mystery oil?

Posted on: 2011/4/3 19:44
1938 1601 Club Coupe
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

32model901
See User information
Marvel Myster Oil would be the right color, although if this was used the gauge would be very inaccurate.

One of the reasons acetylene tetrabromide is used, is it has a density of 2.95, much greater than gasoline.

Gasoline has a density of 0 .71 to 0.75. The acetylene tetrabromide is about 4X the density of gasoline, which means you need a column of gas 8 inches high to equal the higher density acytylene tetrabromide.

Since the glass fuel gauge tube is about 2 inches long, the tube in the gas tank that connects to the fuel gauge is approx. 8 inches long, which works out about right to register full (8 inches of gas) on the 2 inch long gas gauge tube.

The problem I've found is the chemical used to dye acetylene tetrabromide currently available. It fades in sunlight. I'm working to get a sample of the dye used in the 30's and mix it with acetylene tetrabromide currently available. If the original formulation did not fade, this mixture should be the same.

Posted on: 2011/4/9 18:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

32model901
See User information
Had some success using Sudan Red dye, which was used in the original King Seeley Gauge liquid formulation.

I set a sample of the gauge fluid from Classic & Exotic, and a sample I dyed with Sudan Red, out in the sun for a week.

The sample from Classic & Exotic faded badly the sample dyed with Sudan Red did not.

Attach file:

jpg  (72.66 KB)
1584_4dc719285ac50.jpg 331X448 px

jpg  (72.04 KB)
1584_4dc7193588e29.jpg 336X424 px

Posted on: 2011/5/8 17:31
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Just a bit curious why you chose Sudan Red to pursue further? Not that I have any other suggestion. Are you familiar with International Color Index (dyes and pigments) listings? Not that I'd expect to easily find solubility data for tetrabromoethane.

Posted on: 2011/5/8 19:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

32model901
See User information
Owen,

I choose to start with Sudan Red because I ran across information this was what was used to dye the gauge liquid. I also talked to a few chemists and they agreed that Sudan Red would be a good start based on the solubility of Sudan Red in acetylene tetrabromide and the small amount required to dye the liquid.

Based on the testing this dye resisted fading much better that any other gauge liquid I tested. The extreme dark color of the sample I dyed is due to using more dye that I needed to.

http://www.hells-confetti.com/Telegauge.html

Regards,

Dave

Posted on: 2011/5/9 20:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I don't know. A wild possibility guess: Carbontetrachloride???? IIRC it is red or reddish brown. USed in fire extinguishers prior to the early 70's.

Posted on: 2011/5/9 21:14
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved