Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
156 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 156

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 68 69 70 (71) 72 73 74 ... 195 »

Re: Henry's 55 Constellation
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
i couldn't stay away....i tried....didn't work.

okay I GIVE UP!!! on the torque converter. i got a NEW NOS bushing from Mike Dotson for the shaft. you all know the one that i ruined....yeah i got a true 100% Packard one from Mike, he pressed it out for me. it was the exact same size as the one from Max Merritt.

here is the problem. when you push on the shaft the splines make marks in the bushing which make ridges which in return grabs the shaft and will NOT allow you to spin it. i pushed the shaft back off and you can see all the ridges all the way around the bushing. how the heck do you avoid that. there is no way!

i don't have a clue how to get around that. maybe they just pushed them on and put the torque converter back on and took the car for a drive allowing the bushing to smooth back out from the torque of the motor. i have no clue.

but, i took a pipe wrench, which fit the splines on the shaft 100% perfect and it still would not turn in either direction. the pipe wrench was over 12" long on it shaft, so i have plenty of leverage i would think....but no nothing. i was trying to turn it to smooth things back out...but oh no.

this is the exact same thing that happened with the bushing from Max.....it is so frustrating! i just had to put it down...but i did turn around and flip it off. it felt good. LOL! ;0) (i know immature....but it help me)

in the mean time i installed the NOS clutch piston plate that i got from Mike. the old one felt smooth, but you could see the groove marks in it and i didn't like it and the NOS one was cheap, so i did it.

i am just ready to be done with the trans/TC.....and it isn't apparently.

Hank

Attach file:

jpg  (155.23 KB)
491_4c9ec947b1376.jpg 1200X1600 px

jpg  (180.49 KB)
491_4c9ec965e2d22.jpg 1200X1600 px

jpg  (142.09 KB)
491_4c9ec97c697fd.jpg 1200X1600 px

jpg  (156.21 KB)
491_4c9ec993ad6cb.jpg 1200X1600 px

jpg  (163.18 KB)
491_4c9ec9ac767d1.jpg 1200X1600 px

Posted on: 2010/9/25 23:13
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
Also Mike and me agreed that i would send back these lifters and he will send me NOS 55 style lifters, just like in the picture on the auction and identical to my old ones.

Posted on: 2010/9/25 23:25
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
First off, glad you're back Hank!

Second, I'm still betting that you have a mix-match of parts on that converter and hence your issues.

Posted on: 2010/9/25 23:55
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

Bob 2.8
See User information
Glad to see you back! I followed you over from the Z3 site and check often to see how the restoration is going, but don't post because I don't have anything of substance to post. I really enjoy following this because of the detail you go into. I'm just an old car guy with eclectic tastes. I'm old enough to remember these cars and to have worked on many of this vintage. I even kept a record book on every repair/gas purchase on a 1965 Mercury I owned so I really enjoyed reading the old records. I bet there are others like me who enjoy sharing in your work who never post. So Thanks for sharing your project!

Posted on: 2010/9/26 18:23
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
thanks for following along everyone!

enjoy this picture of the only way that i can get the shaft to spin. splines are okay, don't worry the wrench fits the splines perfect so no damage was done. it is a 14" wrench and i was able to use it to move the shaft in either direction, but i cannot move it by hand at all. i sprayed some trans fluid around the edge to help lube things.

the shaft looks fine to me...so i don't know why it is doing this.

are we all sure that it isn't supposed to be nice and tight and that all the ones we have ever tested were used and just worn alowing one to move it by hand? just wondering, but if someone has replaced this bushing before and was able to turn the shaft by hand....well then i have no idea what is going on with mine.

Hank

Attach file:

jpg  (139.57 KB)
491_4ca005557f9e3.jpg 1200X1600 px

Posted on: 2010/9/26 21:45
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Hank, what I would do is ignore all of us so called "experts" and try to get ahold of Peter Finch of Ultramatic Dynamics. He'd be the person to ask and you'll get a straight, exact answer from him.

Posted on: 2010/9/27 0:53
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

chad hoover
See User information
i wouldn't ask "fitch" Hank. i still have a question to ask you about some of the parts you used on the chassis. is it still ok if i call? we'll discuss the t-c then too.

Posted on: 2010/9/28 20:10
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Your reactor shaft should measure 1.560 diameter, and the bushing 1.562 /1.563 giving .002 or .003 clearance. The splines should be about 1.535 diameter and slip through the bushing easily without causing damage. Methink your reactor shaft is not round or something is cocked. You must be able to turn the reactor shaft with no more than a thumb and forefinger.

Posted on: 2010/9/28 20:54
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
greendragon....yes please call...do you have my number?

Peter did reply and had some good thoughts.

Ross, i will measure and report my findings. Mike Franko is also going to let me borrow a shaft to see if it is any different.

i tell you to the naked eye my shaft looks fine....and its a dang mystery why it worked before just fine....hmmmmm. course there wasn't any bushing material left...just the casing for the bushing material when i took it apart.

stay tuned.

Hank

Posted on: 2010/9/30 8:57
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

chad hoover
See User information
i still have your number from an old pm you sent me. when is the best time to catch you?

Posted on: 2010/10/2 13:54
 Top  Print 

« 1 ... 68 69 70 (71) 72 73 74 ... 195 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved