Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
149 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 146

Packardbarry, Tobs, tsherry, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Headlight switch removal
Just popping in
Just popping in

reasby
See User information
Hello
Can someone tell me how to extract the light switch actuator from the switch main body so that I can remove the switch from thge dash? I am restoring a 1937 120 convertible coupe. Thanks.
Ray

Posted on: 2011/2/15 17:33
 Top  Print   

Re: Headlight switch removal
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There were a couple of threads on that subject on a 40 in the last few weeks. I think they are very similar switches and procedure. Here is the first with some general info and a diagramhttps://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=64786#forumpost64786 and the second with some actual steps taken is in a post on a complete dash removalhttps://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=70639#forumpost70639

Posted on: 2011/2/15 17:48
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Hi all:

Nothing looks worse than when someone tries to remove these switcthes using pliers.

Disconnect the battery and pull the switch to headlight position. You will notice that the knob base is a set screw with recess tabs on either side of the shaft.

You can make a spanner to fit these tabs from a piece of flat steel. If you want to be really fancy you can have the steel case hardened at a machine shop.

You can also modify a pair of 90 degree snap ring pliers as well.

Posted on: 2011/2/15 18:54
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

reasby
See User information
Thanks for the replies> What a great website! I don"t see any type of set screw at the base of the knob. It just spins on the shaft. If the knob would come off the shaft the switch would easily unbolt and come off.
Ray

Posted on: 2011/2/16 20:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
What I'm calling set screw is the piece that the shaft goes through on the dashboard. I'll call it the base. Notice the two notches in this piece. These facilitate unscrewing the base from the dashboard so as to allow removal of the switch from the other side. The base screws into the switch though the dashboard.

If you make a spanner you can unscrew the base without making it look like garbage.

Good luck

Posted on: 2011/2/16 20:57
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

ineffabill
See User information
The basic gist of it is that you pull the knob out (turn headlight switch to "on" position). The round bezel "nut" then has to be unscrewed & slid on the shaft toward the knob . The switch & knob shaft will be loose but still in place.The end of the shaft has a 90 degree hook pointed down, so you have wiggle the shaft (knob end down, hook end up) up & out to remove the switch.

Posted on: 2011/2/17 0:41
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

packick
See User information
Reasby:

Hope these pictures help. They basically describe what others have been explaining:

Attach file:

jpg  (31.23 KB)
3468_4d5df8c7017eb.jpg 480X360 px

jpg  (40.86 KB)
3468_4d5df8e8be646.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2011/2/17 23:43
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved