Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
42 user(s) are online (28 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 41

39Rollson, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 6 »

Re: saved a 56 packard on its way to be scrapped!!!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Thanks Howard - yet again!

I'm hoping my oil pump is still good. The brief moments I've heard the engine run, it sounded absolutely great - no knocks, pings, tapping and NO smoke (but a lot of seed chaff out the right exhaust port)! We'll see how far my luck holds. At least as far as the transmission I hope!

I have thought about a double action fuel pump like my '51. I just today ordered a new kit for my existing pump from Then & Now but if necessary, I'd probably go electric. The Newport conversion unit looks good plus I could get the delay feature - a real nice thing to have in Oregon.

Posted on: 2011/2/17 1:38
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Getting back to one of Holiday's questions: The figure I used when shopping for mine was from American Standard and it was $8,000 - $8,500 for a Condition #3 55 Packard Patrician. The 1956 Patrician runs about $500 more as it's considered by some to be the last true Packard.

I'm using those figures on mine to try to keep me from getting too upside down - though I don't plan on ever selling mine so it really doesn't matter that much. For what it's worth, I'm still under what it's worth in running condition. With that in mind, with $500 into yours, you've got quite a way to go before your relatives start talking about Involuntary Committal to the giggle factory.

Posted on: 2011/2/17 1:50
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
I see you have a trunk locked with no key? Don't drill it out! Search the threads here. Someone said they took the back seat out and used a series of extensions taped to a socket and were able unbolt the lock that way. Maybe some of your missing parts are in the trunk. Looks like a nice project!

Posted on: 2011/2/17 8:26
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

holidayjk
See User information
thank you all very much, i am honestly quite surprised at all the generous feedback and help. thanks...
WEAK OIL PUMP< should i adress this issue and R&R pump and clean, before trying to start? i was only planning on drain, flush and prime as far as oil goes...

no i do not own an olds. holiday is just a nick name given to me by an old navy chief, he loved me but hated my attitude by refering to it as laxadazical, said i was always out on holiday! so when i f'ed up all the other instructors at frac called me holiday...it stuck!

Posted on: 2011/2/17 9:34
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

holidayjk
See User information
i also never thought about takeing the back seat out!!! good idea! lol and yes im hopeing the grill is in there?

Posted on: 2011/2/17 9:40
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
When you peer thru into the trunk after the seat back is removed, you might be tempted to link your socket and extensions and remove the retainers for the trunk lock on the lid, but it's actually simplier to remove the two bolts on the latch bar (attached to the lower body sill).

Posted on: 2011/2/17 9:58
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If the covering is still intact on the forward trunk/seat back area rather than force it, look for the little clips that hold it. There should be a half a dozen or so approx 1/8 in wide doubled thin pieces of metal with a little hook pointing in opposite directions on the end. They will be in a spaced out pattern all across the back. Squeeze those together and push back thru the holes in frame so you don't destroy a possibly good piece of cardboard. That piece is patterned and NLA.

Posted on: 2011/2/17 10:31
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
When it comes to describing the Packard V8 oil pump, "WEAK" is a rather term. Again, my dad had no such trouble with his '56 Exec, though likely equipped with the late design parts. I wouldn't worry much about the oil pump in your car until you have an opportunity to check oil pressure (or encounter unusual lifter noise).

However, when it comes to reviving an old car of this period that is only equipped with a partial flow oil filter (if any oil filter at all), it might be wise to remove the oil pan to clean any sludge, prior to starting the engine for the first time. Also, install direct-reading gauge somehwere under the hood, if only temporarily.

A problem with wear in the oil pump body and driving shaft would be indicated by lifter noise as described in STB 56T-20. The field fix offered by that bulletin wasn't the ultimate solution, however.

Back in the mid-1970s, one club promoted removal of the auxiliary vacuum pump in favor of a thicker bottom plate, but I never fully agreed with that. As noted in a previous post, that required the use of a dual-action fuel pump to supply auxiliary vacuum for the wipers (such as what American Motors used for the implementation of the Packard V8 engine in their 1955 cars) or replacement of the Trico vacuum wiper motor with an electric unit (such as the Trico unit that was optional on Chevies of that era).

The ultimate repair for wear of the oil pump driving shaft and bore, which retains the OE vac pump, was promoted, several years ago, by a former Packard service rep, who refurbished pumps in his own shop. While that gentleman has since passed away, I have been told that Terill Machine of De Leon, TX does the same work.

Yet no one ever addressed the reason for that unusual wear - that is, until member PackardV8 provided a photo, comparing the small-block chevy pump body to that of the Packard V8 (shown below). Note the channel cast in the outlet side of the SBC pump body; it provides oil to the driving shaft. When it comes time to reapir any of the oil pumps in my V8 packards, I plan to carve a slight channel (or drill a small passage) in the pump body for similar purpose.

Attach file:

jpg  (30.92 KB)
103_4d5d42f530071.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2011/2/17 10:51
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

holidayjk
See User information
will do! one thing that i keep seeing is torsion leveling air bag suspension,,,something something??? i dont know what this is??? i could venture a guess but i dont touch things i dont know about. what is this system and how does it operate. the car had to be jacked up and blocks put under to get it on the trailer due to the angle as to not scrape the ass end across the gravel? i have rear airbag suspension on my 71 nova, similar???

ive never delt with anything this old, my knowledge consist of late 60s and up, 69 land cruiser, 69, 71 nova,69 vw camper are my oldest vehicles, i feel i have allot to learn.

Posted on: 2011/2/17 11:03
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
See this site's FAQ section - specifically, the topic titled, SUSPENSION & STEERING: Torsion-Level - A Primer

Also, the 1956 Owner's Manual is required reading for newcomers.

For a short list of recommended reading, go to the Model Info feature, drill down to your model, and follow the links.

Posted on: 2011/2/17 11:09
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 6 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved