Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
248 user(s) are online (174 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 248

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Over drive won't work
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

packard7
See User information
Over the winter my over drive stopped working. If I ground the switch under the dash, it works. Soon as I stop grounding the switch the OD disengages. Any Idea where to start looking? 1947 super clipper. With auto clutch

Posted on: 2011/2/19 23:22
 Top  Print   

Re: Over drive won't work
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day packard7,
Even though I see you've been a member for quite some time your first post so to PackardInfo. Concerning your problem, have you looked at the manuals in the Literature and Manuals section here on Site? These or old Motor's Manuals and the like should provide some help. Otherwise I'll leave it to the more experience and knowledgeable here to provide more specific and meaningful advice. Good Luck!

Posted on: 2011/2/19 23:34
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information

Posted on: 2011/2/19 23:43
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Rick Endler
See User information
I have had similar problems with my '48 with an R9 overdrive. Usually the fixes have been pretty simple. Check all overdrive wiring connections, especially to the relay and kickdown switch, for corrosion and tightness. Also check that the kickdown switch is working (simple electrical continuity check using a multimeter). If not, carefully disassemble it (has small internal springs and sliding contacts)and check for internal corrosion. Examine the contact points inside the relay for corrosion as well. These things have fixed all but one of my OD problems. If the above doesn't correct the problem, try to find a Motors Repair Manual from that period as they have OD troubleshooting flowcharts that are helpful (I can help with that if needed).

Posted on: 2011/2/19 23:55
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If you are able to make it work by grounding there, you have the R9. There are 3 switches in series so one of those is bad or disconnected. If you can make it work by grounding either side of the lockout switch under the dash, that switch is good. If only one side works, then start there. There was just a picture posted of a similar switch which had a worn actuator button and was not making contact when the OD handle was pushed in. If good there, then check the kickdown and governor and wiring between. If you have the first type loom which is in two pieces with black plastic connectors joining the OD section to main loom, those connectors were a source of problem. Here is a partial schematic showing the switches. There is an Econodrive manual in the literature sectionhttps://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/EconoDriveTrainingBook.pdf for the whole schematic and detailed operation and service instructions.

Attach file:

jpg  (5.93 KB)
209_4d609fcd27ac5.jpg 216X230 px

Posted on: 2011/2/20 0:00
Howard
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

packard7
See User information
Thanks for the tips. I found the wiring diagram on this site and it shows all the relays. I will spend my Sunday tracing the wires and relays.

Posted on: 2011/2/23 22:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
I know this is an old post, but I'll use it as my starting point.

My 22nd series has an R9, but no electromatic clutch, so I'm assuming from examination of the wiring diagram that one of the two wires coming from my solenoid is disconnected because it is reserved for the e-clutch. So that's not my problem.

The light does not come on at speed- it could be burned out, or any of the relays or switches may need attention.

What would be the first thing to examine in troubleshooting the R9? A flow chart would be helpful, if anyone knows where I could find one.

Thanks!

Posted on: 2012/4/17 13:28
Joey

(?=#=?)

"If chrome got me home, I'd for sure still be stuck somewhere."

[url=http://pac
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Don't recall an R9 flow chart from Packard but will look in a couple of aftermarket books. Here is a training manualhttps://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/EconoDriveTrainingBook.pdf which has a troubleshooting section.

The governor would have two wires but one is unused with no Electromatic. Make sure the correct wire is connected. With car sitting, one will be shorted to ground and one not. The OD uses the one not shorted to ground.

Your solenoid should have 4 wires if an R9 and one completes the light circuit. If only two wires, then an R11 and no light. Many 22nd R9s were upgraded to R11s in a program Packard had after R11 introduction. Verify which you have for sure. Those upgrades would still have the light but just doesn't function any longer.

Easiest way to tell without crawling under is look at relay on firewall. R9 is about the size of a voltage regulator with 6 terminals, R11 about half that size with 4 wires and a fuse on the side.

Posted on: 2012/4/17 13:36
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
Thanks, Howard.

A correction to my last post: I meant to say the governor switch has two wires, one unused.

I found the Econodrive manual. I'm attempting to read and understand it.

Posted on: 2012/4/17 13:46
Joey

(?=#=?)

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
I have the R9 with the six terminal relay.

Just where is the OD light located? Is it one of the three under the center of the instrument cluster?

Posted on: 2012/4/17 13:50
Joey

(?=#=?)

Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved