Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
234 user(s) are online (154 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 233

Packardbarry, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Head gasket, which end is up?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
Hi guys, 1951 288 is going back together. Head gasket from kanter has one side copper and the other side is steel/alu?
Which side goes to the block and to the head? I can't find this in the shop manual or at the 'best gasket' website.

Torque and sequence I already found.

Thanks!

Posted on: 2011/2/20 9:36
 Top  Print   

Re: Head gasket, which end is up?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
As long as all the water passage openings line up either way, it really doesn't make any difference which side goes up. But normal convention is that the side of the gasket on which the "flanges" of the thru holes are folded goes against the cylinder head.

I prefer to use a copperized spray gasket cement meant for cylinder heads, to torque in 3 steps, once more after about an hour or so of running, and once again after a few hundred miles.

Posted on: 2011/2/20 9:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
Thanks OD! I was just looking for 'kupfer spray' and liqui-moly, one of the 'made in germany' suppliers seems to have what I need. The copper spray is also suggested by the gasket mfg on their website.

Posted on: 2011/2/20 9:58
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
To obtain proper torque, you should clean the threads of the studs and nuts with a thread chaser, and DO NOT lubricate them as it will interfere with obtaining correct torque forces.

If you're new to head gasket replacement, you might want to browse this:

http://www.packardclub.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=863

Posted on: 2011/2/20 10:55
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved