Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
131 user(s) are online (84 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 130

acolds, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Middle and Far East
Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
Quote:

Guscha wrote:
A road scene in 1957. The car coming in the opposite direction and equipped with a crossbar looking front bumper isn't a French Simca but its Chinese portrayal.
Do any of you know the function of the back window arrangement?

Wow the French Simca and the Chinese Portrayal both look just like a 1955 Chevrolet Belair sedan. Is that a 1950 Chev beside it?

Posted on: 2011/8/11 17:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Rusty, quite rightly! The moment when the Chinese Portrayal of a Belair looking French Simca met a Packard One Eigthy inspired ZIS-110 while passing by the false front of a Chevylike ZIM GAZ-12 was one of several suitable moments to understand the Red society in all their factitiousness. It's all on the surface with the comrades.

Attach file:

jpg  (44.58 KB)
757_4e446f091469a.jpg 500X370 px

Posted on: 2011/8/11 19:08
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
Guscha wrote: Norodom Sihanouk,.....at the moment The King-Father of Cambodia and has an own website......
Gerd,

Link doesn't work for me.

Quote:
Guscha wrote:.....Do any of you know the function of the back window arrangement?

Couple of guesses, bullet proof glass or a sliding centre section?

Posted on: 2011/8/11 22:16
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Mal, --> that's the updated link to the official website of the King-Father of Cambodia. To come closer to Australia please find below a photograph of Mr. Sukarno, the first President of Indonesia, sitting in a ZIS. He also used a ZIL and at least one Chaika, trappings of his friendly overtures towards Nikita Khrushchev.

Quote:
...Couple of guesses, bullet proof glass or a sliding centre section?

I rule out both bullet proof glass and sliding centre section but thanks anyway.

[picture source: Der Spiegel; 1960]

Attach file:

jpg  (27.39 KB)
757_4e44f48e88a59.jpg 399X303 px

Posted on: 2011/8/12 4:38
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
Guscha wrote:.....To come closer to Australia please find below a photograph of Mr. Sukarno, the first President of Indonesia, sitting in a ZIS. He also used a ZIL and at least one Chaika, trappings of his friendly overtures towards Nikita Khrushchev.

I rule out both bullet proof glass and sliding centre section but thanks anyway.....
Gerd,

Beauty! Link fixed! But the "friendly overtures" link doesn't work for me!

As a boy of about 10 I remember seeing Sukarno, or rather his Presidential motorcade, in Djakarta in the mid-50's. Fleet of MP's fore and aft on motorcycles with Cadillacs, Packards and Chryslers so my Dad told me. Someone, can't remember who, told me in the last year that most of the Presidential cars survive to this day.

Regarding the rear window, I tried.

Posted on: 2011/8/12 7:18
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Second link fixed. Blimey! Mal, nothing gets past you, nothing!

Posted on: 2011/8/12 7:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
During the late 1940s and the 1950s Stalin Motor Works has been a flagship plant and was one of the most popular destinations for foreign trade delegations. The picture below shows Chinese apprentices in the Moscow factory buildings.
Some few years later the relations between the eternal brothers in CCCP and the People's Republic started to crumble.

sources
Огонек; 1946
Chinese propaganda postcard 1958

Attach file:

jpg  (22.72 KB)
757_4e8bef506597d.jpg 500X375 px

jpg  (17.19 KB)
757_4e8bf17f0c909.jpg 500X351 px

Posted on: 2011/10/5 0:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
When reporting about work methods of Eastern bloc countries the Western authors are often diffuse up to nebulous. The iron curtain was tight and the Great Wall of China got its name not without good reason. Facts were hard to get. Today an insider will have a chance to speak.

Click to see original Image in a new window
picture source: www.atzonline.de

Alfred Jante (? 1985), East German professor emerita of combustion engines and vehicle construction published a couple of hard data after a behind-the-scenes tour through the first Chinese Motor Works in 1956. The reason to mention it here is because I deem this Chinese large scale project fit and proper to understand the workmethods of company ZIS. In many respects the FAW (First Automotive Works) was a copy of company ZIS and has been built by massive help of CCCP.

Wikipedia: "...In 1953, the first year of the first five-year plan, First Automobile Works broke ground for its first factory, but it wouldn't produce its first product, the 4-ton Jie Fang CA-10 truck (based on the Russian ZIS-150*), for three more years.
Soviet Russia lent assistance during these early years, providing technical support, tooling, and production machinery. Before its first factory opened, 39 Chinese FAW employees traveled to the Stalin Truck Factory for instruction in truck production. Operations were conducted in the Soviet mold, and Russia is even credited with choosing Changchun as the location for this new vehicle-manufacturing base. The city boasted an industrial base left over from Japanese occupation and, situated in northeastern China, is near Russia..."

To quote the above mentioned professor Jante:

"Its 18,000-strong staff consists of:

3,000 engineers
9,000 skilled workers
2,000 ancillary staff
1,000 labor union officials and party functionaries."

* The above mentioned ZIS-150 looks suspiciously like an International Harvester K-6.

[source of quotation and pictures: KFT 9/1957]

Attach file:

jpg  (27.69 KB)
757_4f8f3b9bd078b.jpg 500X249 px

jpg  (40.94 KB)
757_4f8f3badb4d87.jpg 500X347 px

jpg  (37.16 KB)
757_4f8f3bc0a6d8a.jpg 500X317 px

Posted on: 2012/4/18 17:11
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved