Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
144 user(s) are online (74 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 143

Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: Proper gas for 374 engine
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Quote:
The seat, under prolonged hot driving, is what suffers damage.
FWIW, I sometimes see severe wear on both the seat and the exhaust valve mating face. Studebaker V8 exhaust valves wear more than Packard V8s. It is probably the Packard script on the valve head which protects it to a small degree.

FWIW, retarded ignition timing, such as when a distributor vacuum advance canister diaphragm is perished, will cause elevated exhaust temperatures at high speed cruise.

jack vines

Posted on: 2011/2/24 14:56
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Quote:

Jack Vines wrote:

The octane boosters which are legal and sold in auto parts stores are marginally effective. They are better than nothing, but won't get us back to the days of 100-octane.

jack vines

When were those days, Jack? I can't remember any 100 octane pump gasoline for passenger cars-- and I remember back quite a ways. Av Gas was 100+ octane, but nothing else except "racing" gasoline.

I can't believe any cars with 11:1 compression ratio or lower would gain a whit of performance with anything over about 97 octane, and they'd probably get poorer mileage with higher octane gas.

These days, many people are still wasting their money on "mid-grade" or "premium" fuel for cars that run just fine and will actually have less carbon buildup and better mileage on typical regular 84 octane.

"Knock sensors" and other electronic gadgetry contribute to today's cars running well on lower octane gasoline, but some of the same advantages of correct octane (which is probably not the highest available) apply to the old analog cars as well.

Posted on: 2011/2/25 23:01
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I certainly remember 101 octane pump gas, ARCO (Atlantic-Richfield) Purple for one. And there were others.

Posted on: 2011/2/25 23:25
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

bozonono
See User information
Sunoco on the east coast had a multi grade pump with about 5 or 6 different octanes. the 260 was at least 100 octane. but the 352 and 374 also did will on a medium and regular grade as i remember. the noticeable difference was the tone of the exhaust. on the Sunoco 260 the tone deepened. If i was filling the tank it was cheap gas. If i was charging it on the old mans account it was the high end.

Posted on: 2011/2/26 0:23
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
I can remember, just, when Sunoco sold 103 octane Blue Sunoco gas. This was about the time I started driving in the late sixties. It cost 50 to 55 cents a gallon when other lower octane brands were 45 to 50.

In the early 70s leaded gas was banned or at least, the lead content reduced and 103 octane gas was one of the first casualties.

Posted on: 2011/2/26 0:54
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
A Union 76 station not far from my house had 100 octane until just a few years ago. However, it WAS very close to Portland International Raceway - which may of had something to do with it.

Posted on: 2011/2/26 12:39
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
One thing to keep in mind about those "over 100 octane" pump gasolines of the 60s is that the octane rating was derived by the ASTM "motor" method, and hence the ratings would be different if done by todays average of "motor" plus "research" method.

PS - One of the examples cited in Wikipedia's discussion of various octane methods is "BP Ultimate 102" which had a motor octane # of 93-94, and a research octane # of 102. So by today's R+M/2 method it would have been rated at a bit above 98 octane. The Wikipedia read is a good one if you're interested in that, especially the differences available in different parts of the world, a regional differences in the US.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

Posted on: 2011/2/26 13:24
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
For once, maybe I'm too you to remember something that others do. Feels kind of good! I wasn't driving until about 1972. JUST in time to get some high speed practice before the freeway speeds dropped to 55. I took full advantage of it. My '65 Electra cruised just right at 85, right where the gas pedal told me the mechanical secondaries would start opening.

Leaded gas was around for quite some time into the late seventies, as many cars still used it. The filler neck of the catalytic converter equipped cars of course had the restrictor that would not take the nozzle from the "regular" pump.

I don't remember what the octane was, but we always filled the high-comp cars from my dad's Phillips 66 "Flight Fuel" pump. BTW, no matter what you might hear otherwise, "66" in the Phillips petroleum name was for the octane rating. 66 was considered high at the time of low comp cars. I wouldn't be surprised if that's where Union got the "76" name, but don't know for sure. My dad sold Phillips products for 35 years, so I'm sure he had the story about "66" right by the time he retired.

Posted on: 2011/2/27 15:22
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The following story about how Phillips 66 gasoline got its name is from Wikepedia:

The company that makes Phillips 66 gasoline began in 1917 as Phillips Petroleum Company, founded by L.E. Phillips and Frank Phillips of Bartlesville, Oklahoma. In 1927, the company's gasoline was being tested on U.S. Highway 66 in Oklahoma, and when it turned out that the car was going 66 mph (106 km/h), the company decided to name the new fuel Phillips 66.[1]

66 Octane, if in fact it was, was probably pretty hot stuff back then when compression ratios of cars on the road probably topped out at less than 6 to 1.

Posted on: 2011/2/27 15:42
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
In the 1980's when the CL215 waterbombers powered by the Pratt&Whitney radial engines the engineers saved me the leaded 100 octane aviation gas they drained from the tanks each morning and I used it in my 66 Corvette.

Posted on: 2011/2/27 19:44

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved