Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
45 user(s) are online (27 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 44

Joe, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: BARRETT-Jackson auction
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
As I have alway said when the prices get out of the realm of sanity that those folks have "More Money then Sense".

If someone has the means, and that was their dream car, I could see spending more than it was worth if you planned on keeping it forever.

Buy personally, I think some of these auctions are really just a big dick waiving contest where it is not so much about the cars, but to say my wallet is bigger than yours.

I was always more of a fan of the 55/56 Caribs, and the Bathtub Convertibles.

Posted on: 2008/1/18 22:27
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Danny Petty
See User information
AMEN BROTHER

you won't find any grease under those finger nails

Posted on: 2008/1/18 23:28
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dr.Stuart Schaller, PhD
See User information
I think the '55 and '56 V8s should be worth more money than the earlier cars with a straight 8....so how much should a '55 or '56 be worth?

Posted on: 2008/1/20 1:53
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I would think quite a bit less. The fact these went for such a sum makes me wonder why--and who were they bought by. I didn't watch any of auction but were the usual high dollar cars going for such large amounts. To me, it's been amazing the number of people at car shows (even Packard folks) that think anything postwar is second class and barely worthy of the Packard name. Anything not built on Grand ave, rates lower than that. Even in the crazy market of a few years ago with Cads and Chevys going for huge amounts, the highest I ever saw for a V8 Caribbean convertible was in the 60-70k range.

Posted on: 2008/1/20 11:33
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
I wonder if it just another example of what happens when speculators enter the market looking for an alternative to falling real estate,stock markets or the US dollar against other currencies. This has happened before in the 70's and'90's or when ever inflation and/or recession fears come to the fore. In other times it was 55-57 Chevies, 63-67 Corvettes and more recently Big block or Hemi Mopars that have been the focus of this speculative buying frenzy. I recall that even the Wall Street Journal recommended "investing" in antique cars in the late 1980's and for a couple of years prices skyrocketted. Now maybe it is the post war Packards turn to shine like gold. Eventually the bubble will break and the money will move along to something else whenever the stock market etc. tanks. The old Full Classics seem immune to such huge fluctuations much as good solid company stocks don't usually get battered during these episodes of insanity. If I owned a 53-54 Packard convertible right now I think that I would look for a well heeled buyer and if I wanted another I would wait a few years and buy another once at more realistic price once the speculators have moved on to chase the next golden goose.

Posted on: 2008/1/20 14:23
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved