Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
109 user(s) are online (58 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 108

TxGoat, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Trim Code 69....Again
Home away from home
Home away from home

J.R. Buzzell
See User information
Alright, everybody, I turned over my front seat frame and found a code on the carpeting on it. The code is, I believe, 62-FR-010, or 62-FR-D10, one of the two. Someone please clarify and, if possible, tell me what sort of carpeting I need throughout the whole car. Did Packard ever offer a material for the trunk floor, either? Thanks, everyone!

Attach file:

jpg  (110.00 KB)
2880_4d8e7ec469c5e.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2011/3/26 19:02
J.R. Buzzell

1949 23rd Series Deluxe Eight Touring Sedan
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/index.php?Action=view&ID=867
 Top  Print   

Re: Trim Code 69....Again
Home away from home
Home away from home

Fred Puhn
See User information
My 1950 23rd Series Deluxe touring sedan is largely original. It came with a cardboard cover for the trunk floor. I am pretty sure this part was original. Since it was a bit rotten I got an upholstery shop to make me a new one. I have seen "restored" cars with carpet in the trunk but have no evidence that was original. The rest of the trunk was uncovered metal, either painted or coated with some black material similar to undercoat.

Posted on: 2011/3/28 9:51
Fred Puhn
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Don't know about the Eights and Super Eights. In the Custom 8 the trunk sides and back were flocked with a tan short flocking fiber, and the floor had a kind of carpet, not any thicker than Burtex but with a kind of crude cordury texture with a cut pile finish. None were fully carpeted as Fred point out, examining original and unmolested cars is the only place to get such details.

Posted on: 2011/3/28 10:02
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
My 47 also has that material similar to undercoat on the sides which is in pretty sad shape. It also seems to have patches of a tannish-brownish flocking remaining in places. Don't know whether that was on all Packards then or possibly something a dealer installed. I do remember it in a 51 as well. If others confirm flocking would be proper, there is a place where you can still buy the stuff and equipment to apply it.http://www.donjer.com/

Posted on: 2011/3/28 10:11
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
You need to take the following with a grain of salt because it's taken from the 1948 Fact (Data) Book. If you haven't downloaded this manual and read it from cover to cover, you are missing a ton of valuable, detailed information.

Custom - Mohair carpeted trunk compartment.
Super - Carpeted trunk compartment.
Deluxe Eight - No mention of carpet in trunk.
Eight - No mention of carpet in trunk.

From the general features section (I believe this applies to all (non-Station Sedan) Packards built in '48):

"Rear Deck - Suede-like flock sprayed over asphaltic sound deadning compound." Caption of a photo of the factory-fresh trunk.

Posted on: 2011/3/28 11:03
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I would think that confirms the flocking. I forget who it was that said the best way he had found to apply it was to liberally glue the sides and then throw handfuls of the stuff in the blades of an electric fan and stand back. Would hope the trunk lid was closed somewhere in that process.

Posted on: 2011/3/28 11:26
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
That sounds like a Ross Miller description. And yes, mohair does sound like a more accurate description of the material on the floor of my old Custom 8 trunk, though it was a lot more inexpensive material than typical mohair carpet.

1953 Cavalier trunk was flocked sides and back, so flocking apparently remained in use at least for some models probably all the way until 1955.

Posted on: 2011/3/28 12:25
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved