Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
141 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 137

DJP-37-120, Spencer B., AJS, Ross, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Interesting Packard 12 Engine
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
West, if I implied in my response over on the AACA forum that the 1st edition of Kimes had a picture of the engine, pardon me, it was a picture of the car itself.

Reputedly the major problem encountered with the engine was torsional lag of the crankshaft between the foremost and last cylinders, but the implications for practical body space on a reasonable wheelbase must have been severe as well. Looking at the wear on tires in the picture of the engine, it would seem the car accumulated only a limited amount of mileage.

Neat little piece of Packard history, that one. And I think it also shows the influence Jesse Vincent had to spend the corporate coffers on such a unusual idea and one that must have seemed impractical, even at the time.

Posted on: 2008/1/25 14:07
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Well, if you dig back far enough in the old Packard DF at the AACA site, you'll find at least one thread on Packard's inline 12, where even the author of the cited article, Mr. Neal, chimed in. It was clear that this author exercised due diligence in researching and checking the facts to compose this article.

Yet, in discussing the I-12 in that thread at the AACA site, one particular poster lambasted anyone who supported the notion that such a car, let alone engine, was ever built. While that member ultimately had to eat crow, I don't think the DF ever heard from Mr. Neal again.

There's a lot of other "history" from the AACA Forum experience that has left plenty of us rather jaded, but I won't go into that - or that involving another club, which has some key members who seem to think they hold dominion over anything that has to do with Packard.

If you've not been a part of those problems, try not to take any generalized comment personally.

Posted on: 2008/1/25 14:10
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
In the article from the Cormorant there is mention of the I-12 Packard being seen in Windsor Ontario which is my home town. I wonder if it still exists in somebody's garage?

Posted on: 2008/1/25 14:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
That was when Warren Packard's family took it on vacation. The car was then returned to Packard after Warren died in the plane accident. Supposedly the car went to Europe, minus its engine.

Posted on: 2008/1/25 15:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Quote:

Owen_Dyneto wrote:
West, if I implied in my response over on the AACA forum that the 1st edition of Kimes had a picture of the engine, pardon me, it was a picture of the car itself.

Owen
Thanks for clarifying that up. I was totally confused as to why they'd take such an important photo out for the Second Edition.
So, JD, feel free to buy the Second Edition.

Posted on: 2008/1/25 15:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
West: If you have the article published by Mr. Neal you are reading something different in the article than I am.

Page 31 of the article under Brief History of the Dietrich Monoblock 12.

August 26, 1929: William Packard killed in airplane crash.
The car was returned to the factory shortly thereafter. Current evidence indicates the engine was removed and destroyed and possibly the chassis rebodied.

Now this is information that I doubt few have which I do have. Hugh Pfau claims the Dietrich body was removed and a 734 Speedster series was installed on the chassis with a Packard straight eight engine. The car then was passed through Packard Export and bound for South America.

Always remember to come to the forum were the reel Packard
Experts are Packardinfo.com for correct information on Packard's.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2008/1/25 16:20
REMEMBERING BRAD BERRY MY PACKARD TEACHER
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Tequila Scotty
See User information
Quote:

PackardV8 wrote:

WHY is it that those jokkers over at the AACA Packard forum think THEY just discoverd the I12 ????? I mean Jesus Christ.

and

Quote:

Packard53 wrote:
Always remember to come to the forum were the reel Packard
Experts are Packardinfo.com for correct information on Packard's.

yea, whatever...

...and to think someone lamented the loss of 'sprited conversation' over on the aaca site...

Posted on: 2008/1/25 20:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
The loss of those people at the AACA who carried on spirited conversation like Packard V8 and myself, came over here and helped make this into the best Packard website there is.

Now back to the subject at hand. The inline 12 story to be continued on Saturday late. the grandsons and I are leaving in the morning early to go to a car show.

Have a good day Scotty

John F. Shireman

Attach file:

jpg  (53.50 KB)
105_479a96af50f90.jpg 800X578 px

Posted on: 2008/1/25 21:10
REMEMBERING BRAD BERRY MY PACKARD TEACHER
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information

Alrighty Gentlemen, lets keep on topic, and not get into the 'US vs. Them' type arguement, we have been down that road way too many times, and it doesnt add anything to the conversation, and only gets people upset. We are all here to talk about Packards whether it be on here or the AACA threads. So lets get back to the subject at hand.

Thanks!

Posted on: 2008/1/25 22:03
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tom (Packin31)
See User information
Hey I like the pin striping job on the Manifolds

Posted on: 2008/1/26 11:27
Tom
1931 833 468 Coupe
Packard Registry|1931 Project Blog
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved