Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
178 user(s) are online (105 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 178

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

327 Manifold Gaskets
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Dave Merrick
See User information
Hi All, rehashing an old topic.....

Got the engine all put together, tuned, and took it out for a test drive 2 days ago. Everything went smooth.

Today I try and start 'er up and have a *BIG* exhaust manifold leak at the block. Must also be a intake leak because I also have a severe loping idle.

Upon visual inspection, the new manifold gaskets I installed from MM have "baconed" really badly. They have really distorted. The material of these gaskets seems to be some black synthetic material. The old Gaskets I took off had a foil on the manifold side. I read in another thread that someone is making the foil type, but no contact info is given. Anyone know where I can get better gaskets?

Thanks
-Dave

Posted on: 2011/4/2 23:01
----------------
1951 Packard 300 (2472)
"Built to outlast them all..."
 Top  Print   

Re: 327 Manifold Gaskets
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
Hi Dave,

I imagine a big reason the gaskets failed to seal is warped manifolds. That would have to be corrected for any gasket to work correctly. Secondly, I too prefer the metal clad gaskets. I bought mine from Packards International. Here is the contact information found on their website:

Office:

Lani Brizic
Packards International Motor Car Club
302 French Street
Santa Ana, CA 92701

Phone: (714) 541-8431
Fax: (714) 836-4014

Best of luck,
Jim

Posted on: 2011/4/2 23:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
When the manifold(s) were installed did u loosen the bolts that hold the intake manifold to the exhaust manifold and then tighten those AFTER the the manifolds were torqued to the block?????

Posted on: 2011/4/3 7:35
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Dave Merrick
See User information
Yup. I followed the procedure outlined in the manual.
Did the straight-edge/feeler gauge check before installing as well. I guess I'll check it again and take it to the machine shop to have it milled...

Posted on: 2011/4/3 8:02
----------------
1951 Packard 300 (2472)
"Built to outlast them all..."
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Though I and others prefer the metal sandwich manifold gaskets, the composite type give good service as well when properly installed; your problem is not with the gasket construction type. Don't forget the manifolds have to "float" a bit with expansion and contraction so the torque specs for tightening them is important.

I'd suggest having the manifold mounting surfaces planed or surface-ground as a unit assembly.

Posted on: 2011/4/3 8:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
First thing i would do is try to first CHECK the existong torque. See if any has loosened. Retorque the manifold and hope for the best. At this point there is nothing to loose by trying a retorque. If it doesn;t work then or if a gasket has a hole blown thru it then procede as instructed in the above posts by others.

Posted on: 2011/4/3 8:18
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
I had this same issue, no exhaust leak but it was fine then loosing power on the freeway then wouldn't idle or barely go unless you pumped the gas.

I chased everything around until i re-tightened the manifolds and now it will idle, but roughly under 800 rpm, but it does run by itself at 450. Idle screws are adjusted pretty far out, but not too far. I'm guessing the same happened to me.

I did notice that when i went to tighten them, they were pretty damn loose, not near what i torqued them at. I did do the correct procedure...i had them apart to sandblast, paint, and new gaskets, tightened to block first. I'm thinking that after i got the car back together, that the heating and cooling of all my tuning and couple test drives caused the manifolds to "settle" and if i had torqued them before it started running rough, maybe it would still be fine. I just tightened them "damn hand tight" in my haste and that got me back to somewhat running. Maybe i'll revisit putting new gaskets on there and checking the manifolds with a straight edge.

One note, between the rear-most gap between the intake and exhaust, i saw my gasket had heaved around the stud. I thought i had found the issue, until i saw my old engine, that ran great, had the same issue. Old motor seemed to have metal gaskets, new were like cardboard with metal in the middle. Both scrunched up in the same spot, but don't seem to affect:

Attach file:

jpg  (94.98 KB)
1420_4d98947f808f7.jpg 1200X896 px

jpg  (155.12 KB)
1420_4d98948879493.jpg 1200X896 px

Posted on: 2011/4/3 10:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

gone1951
See User information
I have had similar problems with the gaskets that are the same on both sides with a metal core. Of corse the correct torque is very important as well as to re-torque after the engine has been warmed up and run a wile. Also checking the manifold for flatness and re-surfacing if needed is important.

The best gaskets are the ones that are metal on one side and gasket material on the other. The problem here is that the intake/exhaust manifold is very long and expands and contracts every time you drive the car by quite a bit. The manifold scrubs back and forth and wears into the gasket destroying the gasket thus causing leaks. The gasket with the metal on one side provides a surface That can take the constant rubbing without deforming. The metal goes towards the manifold.

Bottom line is I don't use the gaskets unless they are of the type that has metal on one side.

surfacing

Posted on: 2011/4/3 21:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
Are the metal on one sidew the ones that are available from the packard club international? If not, where can i obtain that type?

Posted on: 2011/4/4 10:39
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Yes, those are the ones available from PI. There are a club project of the So Cal region of PI.

Posted on: 2011/4/4 12:31
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved