Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
108 user(s) are online (67 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 107

Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

22nd Series Electromatic Clutch Removal
Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
My latest Packard originally came from the factory with an Electromatic Clutch. Someone in the past removed the entire Electromatic upper assembly. The car still has the lower assembly including the large vacuum canister, bracket attached to the starter motor, pulley, wire attached to the clutch pedal, and probably other stuff.

Since I am of the opinion that the Electromatic Clutch even when working correctly is pretty much a needless accessory particularly considering the complexity of the Rube Goldberg design, and since half of it is missing, I intend to remove all traces that are left on the car. As time permits and pending availability of parts, I'll return the accelerator linkage to the simpler, cleaner non-Electromatic configuration.

My question is... are there any implications or 'Gotchas' that I should be aware of as regards interaction with the overdrive or anything else?

Posted on: 2011/4/9 9:22
 Top  Print   

Re: 22nd Series Electromatic Clutch Removal
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
22nd series EC is a totally separate system. The only common item with OD is the governor and when removing the EC, there will be an extra pigtail on the governor to tuck away out of harms reach. Since the control assy is missing, the former power wire should already be taped off (and maybe governor wire too). That power wire would be the only other thing to make sure it couldn't cause a problem if dash switch was turned on.

Posted on: 2011/4/9 9:35
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: 22nd Series Electromatic Clutch Removal
Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Thanks Howard. That's exactly what I needed.

Posted on: 2011/4/9 9:39
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved