Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
137 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 136

37Blanche, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Engine Serial Numbers
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

dienes83646
See User information
This is a continuation of a post I did on 4/6/11. I'm still trying to determine just what engine I have in my Packard.

The car is a 1938 4-dr Touring Sedan, Model 1601, straight 8. The engine, I think, is a 288 which was built after 1948, whereas the engine that was original in 1938 was a 282. The head on my engine indicates it is a 288.

However, the engine number stamped on the side of the block is confusing: it shows a number of "M 41418 MN". The engine numbers usually have 6 digits. This one only has 5 digits. The serial number engine guide indicates the 1954 models having serial numbers that go from M 400000 to M 402638, and these numbers indicate the engine as being a 327.

I'm in the process of having the engine overhauled and I want to make sure I'm getting the correct parts for this engine. I don't know if I have a 288 or 327.

Is there some other source I can go to and verify my engine number?

Posted on: 2011/5/3 22:33
 Top  Print   

Re: Engine Serial Numbers
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
You have a 288 head on a 327 block. Very common swap. Same thing in my car. For all practical purposes, you have a 327 motor.

Posted on: 2011/5/3 23:05
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
For all practical purposes, the only differences between a 288 and 327 are the crank and connecting rods. Neither has to be replaced when rebuilding. You have hydraulic lifters

Posted on: 2011/5/4 7:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
Originality aside, you have a great motor setup. The 327 is nice, the smaller head will give you a slight boost in power, and i believe the 48-54 series eights are more plentiful and parts more plentiful than the earlier motors. Just my 2 cents.

Posted on: 2011/5/4 8:30
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Paul_K
See User information
Interesting that a spare 645 engine I have here doesn't have any numbers stamped into the motor mount, just "star" cast into the ear, and no signs of numbers being ground off.

Posted on: 2011/5/8 20:44
IF YOU DO NOT HAVE FLAMES COMING OUT OF THE STACK< YOU ARE NOT RUNNING TO YOUR FULL POTENTIAL.
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved