Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
129 user(s) are online (72 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 128

Daniel Leininger, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 8 9 10 (11)

Re: All wiring nominal and TL not working
Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Bob,

Good to know that you have the mechanical part of the TL on the mend. I echo what Ross said about trying to get the rods straight.

There was a service bulletin on the lock ring www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/STB/55T-12.pdf

It has been mentioned by others but the electrical part of the TL needs to be looked over so it is working correctly. judging by what happened might need to have the limit switches looked over.

Posted on: 2011/6/24 21:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Robert Freeman
See User information
I am concerned about the worm shaft not being held in place, and this is where I am getting different directions on how mine is actually built. This may be that mine is a 56 and the SC is for an older 55 compensator assy.

The SC says that the worm shaft is held in place inside the housing by a lock ring (seated in a channel). If this is how mine is configured then the lock ring is not working and I need to get new parts and re-build my gear box assy.

Another said that the worm shaft is held in place by a kind of 'set-screw' on the side of the gear box housing that extends far enough into a channel in the worm shaft, itself. If this is the case then either the set-screw somehow backed off, the channel in the worm shaft is worn out, or the gear box housing itself is too worn around the worm shaft.

Is that one of the differences between the 55 and 56 TL gear boxes?

I can't check it as the car is at a shop and not available until Monday. Can I drive the car with the TL motor re-installed but without the wires connected to the motor?

Posted on: 2011/6/25 6:55
Bob

IF EVERYTHING IS COMING YOUR WAY ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
YOU'RE IN THE WRONG LANE!

'56 Executive Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
That's essentially what many of us do who sometimes chose to drive with the system turned off (under-dash switch in the off position). So of course the answer is yes - assuming the mechanical integrity is intact.

Posted on: 2011/6/25 9:01
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The upper housing was the same 55-6 and no setscrew I know of. Believe that tech bulletin describing the check and repair of the retainer ring will apply to both.

The main difference 55-6 was the 56 mounting bracket was revised to eliminate the solenoid carrier & limit sw assy bracket and internally, the bottom output gear was profiled into a cam to activate the limit switches and the lower housing was redesigned to incorporate the limit switches.

Posted on: 2011/6/25 10:35
Howard
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 8 9 10 (11)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved