Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
164 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 164

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Pro's/Con's of the '51 Patrician and Ultramatic
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Steve
See User information
Although a car collector for more than 25 years and hoping to own a Packard for much longer than that, I have yet to own a Packard. I'm a member of the Packard club and regular visitor to this site, which has helped me immensely in my appreciation for these cars.

I've been on the hunt for a 21st or 22nd series senior-level car and just haven't come across the right one. My question today though has to do with the '51 models. I've come across a low-mileage, beautifully-preserved '51 Patrician located out of state. I've looked at this model only casually in the past but am intrigued with this one.

For those who are familiar with these cars, what do you consider to be the pro's and con's of these cars? I'm very leery of the Ultramatic, about which I know little beyond what I've read on this site. I wish it was equipped with manual/OD but of course that wasn't an option.

I've gone back and looked at a number of posts which are somewhat related to this topic but would appreciate additional comments, any guidance, items to look for/ask about, and whether this car really is worth considering for long-term ownership.

Many thanks-

Steve

Posted on: 2011/5/23 17:57
 Top  Print   

Re: Pro's/Con's of the '51 Patrician and Ultramatic
Home away from home
Home away from home

Brians51
See User information
Steve ,don't be put off by the ultramatic in this vintage.I can give you many pros and only two cons.1 Miles per gallon (not really an issue If you want an old car.(please no nit picking here guys.lol)2 vapor lock. All of these are some thing you can deal with.You wont be sorry with a 51 Pat. BHW

Posted on: 2011/5/23 20:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
The Ultramatic became problematic in 1955 when it was put behind a high powered V8. I have a 52 Patrician which is trouble free and years ago a friend had a '51 with 101,000 miles. All it needed was a valve job and likely not its first.

Happy motoring.

Posted on: 2011/5/23 20:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Brians51
See User information
Steve ,My trans has a line leak that it has had for some time.Long before I bought the car.really not a pro or con just a maintenance issue.I plan on dealing with it this summer.My "300" is bed rock solid and a joy to drive. As a plus all those grill "teeth" make lots of people smile.

Posted on: 2011/5/23 20:24
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Granted, my experience with a 51 Patrician is not recent and the car was only 12yrs old at the time but I drove one in HS. At the hands of a teenager who treated it as just another old car--and not a desirable car for a teenager at that--the Packard had at least 8 of it's lives well used and nary a problem the car could be blamed for. As it's 60 years old now, you might want to drive it with a little more respect. Gas mileage is a bit on the low side, and the Ultra does like to be driven like it was designed--ie don't shift from low to high at full throttle--it doesn't like that at all (I even figured that out back then) but other than that, a great car. I did have a 54 Pacific a few years ago with essentially the same transmission and it also performed well and still does with it's current owner.

Posted on: 2011/5/23 20:44
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Steve,
to PackardInfo, but sorry I can't add to the comments already made because of my lack of familiarity with Packards of that era.

However if you do obtain the '51 Pat I invite you to include it in the Packard Owners Registry here on PackardInfo.

Posted on: 2011/5/23 20:49
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Steve
See User information
Thanks for all the feedback; I really appreciate it.

Acceleration couldn't be any worse than with my '50 Nash! Of course the tradeoff is that the Nash gets about twice the mileage...

I like to drive my cars - at least 400-600 miles a year in local driving - but one reason I'd like a postwar Packard is so that I have a car capable of a long distance tour if I get the chance.

If there's anything I need to watch for when considering one of these models, I'd appreciate a heads up on that too. Thanks-

Steve

Posted on: 2011/5/23 21:00
1947 Custom Super Clipper coupe
1949 Deluxe Eight coupe
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
SM, We were recently treated to a drive in a '51 Patrician. The car was well represented with its beautiful maroon exterior and brown broad cloth and wool carpeted interior. It rode and drove beautifully. If I were to buy another Packard it would be a '51 - '53 Patrician/400. Top of the line for Packard at the time. And, that wonderful turbine smooth 9-main bearing straight-8 engine is a marvel. You can't miss with one of these cars.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2011/5/23 21:11
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Harley
See User information
Steve

I owned a low mileage 51 200 for about 4 years. It was very comfortable and a fine open road car. You will find that they like to creep up to about 70 mph if your'e not paying attention....

The steering is very light after the car gets moving and should run straight as an arrow. The Ultramatic is pokey when starting from a stop but gets better as the car picks up speed. My car was very reliable

I'm very fond of the styling of the 51's and 52's. My grandmother had one when I was little and even as a child I appreciated the understated styling. Patricians are relatively rare and you won't see yourself coming down the road often

Regards

John Harley

Posted on: 2011/5/23 21:29
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Steve,

Although it appears the '51 Patrician didn't come to pass, I see you've now included a '47 Custom Super Clipper Eight Club Sedan in the Registry.

Posted on: 2014/3/13 20:15
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved