Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
184 user(s) are online (118 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 184

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1946 Transmission problem
Just popping in
Just popping in

braspack46
See User information
I am having problems with my 1946 limo transmission. It drops out of third gear as I am accelerating. I took the easy path first and replaced bushings and wear parts of the linkage. The next move will probably be to drop the transmission and replace the detents. Has anyone had experience with this issue?

Posted on: 2011/5/31 14:12
 Top  Print   

Re: 1946 Transmission problem
Home away from home
Home away from home

saltydog
See User information
Sounds like one of your synchro's gave out. Greg

Posted on: 2011/6/1 19:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
I believe you will find that the detents are fine as they are quite stout, tho it is possible that the little block in which they reside may be loose on the bottom side of the top cover. In your car you can remove the tunnel plate and have the top off the tranny in relatively short order for inspection.

Whilst you are in there have a good look at the shifter forks to see if the little pivoting shoes are worn. More importantly, given your symptom, grab hold of various gears on the main shaft and see if you can wiggle them. If they wobble at all, the mainshaft bearings have lost their preload and will need attention.

Does the car jump out of second as you descend? That is a more usual symptom for loose mainshaft bearings.

Posted on: 2011/6/1 20:36
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

braspack46
See User information
Ross,
Thanks, and yes it has been dropping out of second while decelerating. That was the first sign.

Posted on: 2011/6/2 7:10
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved