Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
155 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 151

humanpotatohybrid, Jim in Boone, Ross, John Iaccino, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 »

Re: Electronic Ignition conversion report
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
" My car has the tiny 10mm plugs, so those are non-resistor also.

I'm not sure but just because they are 10mm does not necessarily imply non resistor. What is the number on the plug and brand.

Posted on: 2013/10/30 9:11
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
If plugs AND wires are BOTH NONresistor then start the car near a radio or television. There should be terrific static on the radio or tv due to the lack of resistor plug and or wire.

Posted on: 2013/10/30 9:18
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Jeff - Still puzzled about the statements that your distributor's cam is worn smooth. These cams do not have sharp edges, they have a slight radius on the top of the cam. Here is a photo of the cam from my 37 Six. Quality is not good, but you should be able to see the rounded edges. The 8-cylinder distributor cam's edges are even more rounded. Your cam would have to be almost round in order to no longer operate the points opening and closing actions. Good to hear the bushing and shaft are in good shape. I think your cam is okay. You probably do not need an electronic kit.

(o{}o)

Attach file:

jpg  (70.76 KB)
565_52718d8a5d8aa.jpg 1280X853 px

Posted on: 2013/10/30 17:52
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim49
See User information
wow, thanks for a great thread, I just learned about this electronic option from reading in a parts catalogue. and now I find a thread here on this topic.
My quest. Has anyone compered the MPG performance on original system compared to the electronic system. I am curious to know.
thanks

Posted on: 2013/10/31 2:13
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

bigmoparjeff
See User information
Quote:

JW wrote:
Jeff - Still puzzled about the statements that your distributor's cam is worn smooth. These cams do not have sharp edges, they have a slight radius on the top of the cam. Here is a photo of the cam from my 37 Six. Quality is not good, but you should be able to see the rounded edges. The 8-cylinder distributor cam's edges are even more rounded. Your cam would have to be almost round in order to no longer operate the points opening and closing actions. Good to hear the bushing and shaft are in good shape. I think your cam is okay. You probably do not need an electronic kit.

(o{}o)

On your cam, you can see some minor scoring where the rubbing block rides. Mine is significantly worse. My scoring is quite deep, I'd say 3 to 5 times more than what's on your cam, and it's definitely taken some meat off the edges of the lobes.

I'm going to give the system a try with the solid wires and see what happens. My father is an electronics guy, so he may be able to whip up a filter that I can add to help combat the electrical noise from the wires. If it doesn't run right, I'll have to put the points back in or get a set of modern plug wires. Either way, it's $80 to $90 out of my pocket, since it was my idea to go with the Petronix.

Jeff

Posted on: 2013/10/31 8:51
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

bigmoparjeff
See User information
Quote:

PackardV8 wrote:
" My car has the tiny 10mm plugs, so those are non-resistor also.

I'm not sure but just because they are 10mm does not necessarily imply non resistor. What is the number on the plug and brand.

The plugs are Champion, and there's no "R" in the part number, so I know that they are not resistor plugs. I also have a spare box of Autolites, that I will have to check and see what they are.

Jeff

Posted on: 2013/10/31 8:55
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
Before I knew better, I ran my clipper for one season with packard 440 solid core wires and pertronix 12 volt in my delco distributor. The plugs were resistor plugs, and the car ran fine. I now have resistor wires (from summit -that also say packard on them), but haven't run the car yet. So, I don't think it is a sudden death thing combining the solid core wires and pertronix, but it isn't good in the long run.
I mean all electronic stuff that is made has to be somewhat resistant to interference from external sources, such as heated driveways, overhead wires, cell phones or whatever. But in the long run, resistor wires would be safer.

Posted on: 2013/10/31 9:00
1953 Clipper Delux Club Sedan, 1969 912, 1990 Miata, 2009 Ford S-Max.
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I also have a spare box of Autolites, that I will have to check and see what they are.

If they are current AutoLite 10 mm plugs (#3136) the are non-resistor. Personally unless I was super concerned with RF interference but still wanted some suppression of interference, I'm much rather have solid core ignition wires and resistor plugs for the simple reason that resistor wires don't tolerate a lot of handling and have a reasonably short life span compared to copper core. With resistor wire the core fails first, with copper core the insulation fails first.

Posted on: 2013/10/31 10:52
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

bigmoparjeff
See User information
I'm starting to think that the interference issue is probably a myth. Considering the fact that the Petronix module is mounted inside the distributor, about an inch from where electricity is jumping from the rotor tip to the cap contacts, it's going to see plenty of electrical noise no matter what plugs and wires you have. As soon as I get a chance, I'll take a look at their website to see if it mentions any restrictions for installing the conversion kits.

Jeff

Posted on: 2013/11/1 0:01
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Mark Buckley
See User information
Quote:

Tim49 wrote:
wow, thanks for a great thread, I just learned about this electronic option from reading in a parts catalogue. and now I find a thread here on this topic.
My quest. Has anyone compered the MPG performance on original system compared to the electronic system. I am curious to know.
thanks

Tim-

My mileage hasn't changed, that I can see. However I can tell you I experienced better, smoother, acceleration. Acceleration improved even more when I replaced the voltage regulator with a more robust model. I believe the 'old' regulator didn't allocate enough juice to the ignition system.

Anyway....the electronic ignition system has been a joy. It had no effect on radio reception.

I still have the old distributor (it's in good working condition), so the car's next owner will have the option of reverting, if he so chooses. But for me, I'll stay with the new setup.

Hope this helps,

Mark

Posted on: 2013/11/3 12:18
 Top  Print 

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved