Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
149 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 149

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 »

Re: Electronic Ignition conversion report
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Somewhere in the e-ignition system should be something that a reasonablee and sober.minded.person mite construe as a CONTROL MODULE.
Do u carry a SPARE control module?????? How much does a spare control module cost? Where do u buy a new conrol module?????

Posted on: 2013/11/3 14:14
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
I have two of my four cars converted to the petronix elect. Ign system. The 1955 Custom Royal Lancer with the 270 hemi and dual point ign is the most resent change done in FEB 2013. The control module must be in the pick up assembly next to the reluctor (trigger wheel, cam) in the distributor. There are only two parts to replace inside the distributor and wires to the coil. My 55 Dodge is 6V pos ground and the difference in all starting modes is very swift, starting is not affected by cold or hot starts situations. I notice there is less sluggishness (sp) when accelerating and more response to throttle pressure at higher speeds. I did replace my coil with the petronix 6V coil. Additionally, I had the starter and generator rebuilt/checked and replaced the battery with a larger 6v 990CCA battery so there isn't any need to worry about minimum battery voltage that might not trigger a no start scenario.....Whether it would or not I don't know. My 1966 Rambler 770 classic convertible, 327, 4BBl was converted 10 years ago and has functioned without problems. I don't carry any spare elect Ign parts, I do carry a set of points and a condenser, if needed. In both cars, there are two dist parts and 2 wires for the elect ign. it's a 1/2 hour job to change. Hope this helps.

EDIT.....I bought both ign sets from Falcon Global on ebay, very knowledgeable, answered my questions thoroughly, reshipped the correct pos ground unit for the Dodge before I had time to return wrong item (they issued an UPS pick up). No hassle, no added cost very fast credit card reimbursement. Nope, don't own and stock.

Steve
packardguy53

Posted on: 2013/11/4 12:53
Steve
Old cars are my passion

1951 Packard 200
1953 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan
1955 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer Tri-tone
1966 Rambler Classic 770 Convertible
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Scott
See User information
Quote:

bigmoparjeff wrote:
Quote:

Rebus wrote:
Earlier this year I installed the Pertronix electronic ignition in my '48 Custom and it's working just fine so far. With it I also installed the accompanying coil they sell. In black it looks stock. There are no R9 overdrive issues that I am aware of. All seems well. The wiring differences are noted earlier. It does all look stock except for the wire exiting the distributor (instead of the terminal).

Do you have resistor wires or resistor plugs on the car? I just checked the wires that I bought from Kanter, and they are definitely solid copper wires. My car has the tiny 10mm plugs, so those are non-resistor also.

Jeff

The plugs are 10mm non-resistor and the spark plug wires are supposed to be reproduction original so I assume they are non-resistor, but I'd have to see if I can positively ID them. It all seems to be working fine.

Posted on: 2013/11/10 16:34
1942 Clipper Club Sedan
1948 Custom Touring Sedan (22nd Series)
1955 Patrician Sedan
1955 400 Sedan
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Moms 54
See User information
So in the end result having the pertronix ignition, it calls for to use the resistor plugs and no solid copper core plug wires?

Posted on: 2016/10/28 10:02
The best are yet to roll
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Just as a matter of general practice with standard ignition, I'd never use both resistor plugs and resistor high tension wires. One or the other if I was interested in better radio reception, neither if I didn't care about the radio performance. I don't see why it would be any different with Pertronix which in any case I wouldn't use in a 6-volt car - just too many such installations later converted back to points and condenser after reliability problems. But in any case I wouldn't go with both resistor plugs and resistor wires.

Posted on: 2016/10/28 15:07
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I agree with O_D on the use of resistor plugs or wires, but not both. Vintage vehicle ignitions systems without some kind of supression cause TV and radio interference to nearby sets. Think of your neighbors as you run your engine in the driveway or while driving down the street.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2016/10/28 16:17
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
If you want to use solid core plug wires but don't want radio interference use resistance wire for just the coil wire. This will give radio suppression without excess resistance.

Posted on: 2016/10/28 19:13
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Moms 54
See User information
Ok Thank you all.

I finally had the chance to pick back up on 54' after about a year.

I did install the pertronix solid state and flame thrower coil for the 6v Positive ground.

I had a new set of wires and plugs but I can not find them so I'll start with another fresh set.

I do remember pertronix told me do not use the solid copper wires but I figured I'd ask on here for opinions.

Two of the parts stores have the Champion RJ12CY plugs in stock which I ran before.

My new missing plugs were the Autolite. 308 and I was told I could use them even though I have the Delco system is this true?

Eventually I will get the cloth solid core wires but for now I will go with surrpression wires.

Any thoughts or options on a non-resistance plug?

I will keep the points on hand just in case...

Posted on: 2016/10/28 21:20
The best are yet to roll
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
On 6v make sure the battery cables are large -- 0 or 00 gauge -- and the battery is in good condition and of sufficient CCA. Also that the grounds and all connections to the module and coil are good and clean.

If the starter needs work or engine has issues starter could draw excessive amps when cranking. If all the above is not in pristine condition the current pulled by the starter and resulting voltage delivered to the solid state logic in the electronic ignition module could easily be too low. The logic type used will not tolerate much of a voltage drop. It has a narrow working range and anything lower than about 5v at the module and it most likely will not fire or will be very erratic.

Many many 6v Pertronix units have acted up enough that they had to be pulled. Not necessarily because of the unit but because poor wiring or other conditions caused the units to misfire. 12v cars do not have the issue because there is a lot of room for voltage drop as compared to 6v cars.

Posted on: 2016/10/28 21:40
Howard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Autolite 308 plugs are a good choice for these engines.

Posted on: 2016/10/28 22:16
 Top  Print 

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved