Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
224 user(s) are online (152 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 222

Darrin180, tsherry, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

crankshafts
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
RockAuto now carries crankshafts by Crankshaft Supply. Based in Minnesota, Crankshaft Supply has been remanufacturing crankshafts for over 50 years. They are machining and crankshaft experts. This could be major help for some of us.
http://www.rockauto.com/Newsletter/index.html

Posted on: 2011/6/3 18:48
 Top  Print   

Re: crankshafts
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I didn't see one listed in the engine section yet. I'm a little disappointed in RockAuto. Based on their TV ads, you'd expect them to have an actual old part for an old car. Based on things people have looked for so far, I expect it will be like the shock absorbers--one size fits all--or else figure out how to fit a Cheby or Ford crank into a Packard.

Posted on: 2011/6/3 18:54
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Hmm? They listed Packard cranks from 1920 thru 1958??
PACKARD 1958 1957 1956 1955 1954 1953 1952 1951-1920

I guess I like Rockauto because they came up with those upper ctl arm bushings for $2.50 a piece.

Posted on: 2011/6/3 18:59
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Maybe I'm doing it wrong. Wouldn't be the first time. Going to catalog via the link, Packard, 56, Caribbean, engines, all I see in the category is an oil filter.

Posted on: 2011/6/3 19:04
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Click on the ROCAKAUTO catalog at the end of Crankshaft Supply blurb and they list all the companies for which they claim they have cranks.

Posted on: 2011/6/3 19:07
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If this is the one you mean, then I did and all it did for me was bring up the regular catalog with makes listed. I don't need a crank, so no big deal.

Attach file:

jpg  (11.84 KB)
209_4de97ab67ebfb.jpg 935X59 px

Posted on: 2011/6/3 19:22
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
I use Rock Auto often for parts for my modern cars. I never thought to use them for my Packard. I have so far always been satisfied.

Posted on: 2011/6/3 19:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Just because there's a listing doesn't mean there's a part. Been through that a thousand times with Rock, NAPA, even once or twice with Kanter.

Having said that, Packard crankshafts aren't yet difficult to find. The few times I've listed a reground and ready to go V8 crank, I've had no takers.

One other factor, shipping that 60# box is going to cost about the same as having one reground locally.

Has anyone clarified if Rock Auto pricing requires an exchange core? That doubles the shipping.

jack vines

Posted on: 2011/6/7 17:50
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Quote:

Jack Vines wrote:
One other factor, shipping that 60# box is going to cost about the same as having one reground locally.

Has anyone clarified if Rock Auto pricing requires an exchange core? That doubles the shipping.

jack vines

And the crank on the 356 engine weighs 105# and I don't even want to think about the cost of a crank grind with those counterweights which must be removed!

Posted on: 2011/6/7 20:12

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved