Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
122 user(s) are online (79 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 121

pmhowe, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 10 »

Re: Checking transmission fluid
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Check out Lokar. They make some universal dip sticks that use a braided flex tube.

Posted on: 2011/9/13 14:33
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
I was thinking something like the above with something like this added (using the correct sizes of course):

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/FERNCO-Flexible-Coupling-3HCY6?Pid=search

Also, people have dropped the pan and put a hole with a fitting in it, and an elbow facing up and forward. With this design, you leave the original in place, and connect a dipstick like above to the elbow. The fluid will find it's level through the fitting, and you can check it with the factory dipstick and when its just right, pull the other stick and mark it.

Posted on: 2011/9/13 14:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
The lokar ones seal with dual o-rings, which doesn't work for us but might be adapted. My father in law uses one on his 700r4, it was a pain to get it to stop seeping. Again, a non-issue for use with us because we'd have to adapt sizes anyway.

It is nice, and pulls easy no matter how it's flexed.

Posted on: 2011/9/13 14:41
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

BigKev wrote:
Check out Lokar. They make some universal dip sticks that use a braided flex tube.

The Lokar looks interesting but does look a bit small in diameter though. Can you add fluid thru that setup? That would be one advantage the GM would have.

http://www.lokar.com/product-pgs/trans-dipsticks/trans-dipstick-pages/trans-dipsticks.html

Make something that would work in place of our existing dipstick--maybe even another dipstick with a hole drilled in the cap with a bushing installed instead of the stick. Wonder if there is a decent supply of NOS dipsticks available.

Posted on: 2011/9/13 14:45
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fred Puhn
See User information
This is very important to us Packard Ultramatic owners. I would really like to add a feature to my Packard that would allow me to check and fill the fluid without a huge dirty hassle. If anyone has a modification that works well please let us know the details.

Posted on: 2011/9/14 14:05
Fred Puhn
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Warren J. Erickson
See User information
Hey Guys! the flexible dipstick is a great idea. I didn't know they existed. It just turned a light on in my head. I've got two ideas:

(1)- I've never seen a Gear Start. Does the filler tube go into the case or pan? If it's the pan, the Ford C4 and some foreign transmissions do it that way. Like the German ZF4HP22 (Used in earlier Mercedes, BMW's and Volvo). I'm sure there are others. The ZF got some bad publicity, years ago and they should be available in the junk yards. I've got one sitting in my garage. Along with a spare Ultramatic Pan. I'll take some measurements.

(2)- Better yet: The Flexible dipstick, from Lokar and others. Seems like the way to go. By attaching it to the pan, you can leave the original dipstick alone. And use it for calibration purposes. Very little jerry rigging, other than a hole in the pan.

I was on the Lokar website.

http://www.lokar.com/product-pgs/trans-dipsticks/trans-dipstick-main.html

I noticed one of their applications are for pan mount. It looks promising. They have a little funnel arragement for filling from the flex tube. I know that was a concern in an earlier post.

Just some rambling to keep these old bones from getting under that beast

Posted on: 2011/9/14 18:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
Well with that pan mount one, you're all set. Mount the other end to the firewall. A small tranny funnel does fit for filling, i've done it on their dipsticks before.

Just get a decent length dipstick, drill the hole and reinstall the pan and fill until the original dipstick says full, then mark the new one.

This might be the easiest and best option yet.

Posted on: 2011/9/14 19:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
My parents drove a '53 from 1955-1963, there was never a problem with the UL-Traumatic fluid. When it was in for lube they checked it as was done on 100,000 approx 50-54 Packards. Did not seem to be much of a problem then.

Although I've never checked, my guess is that a 55-56 pan will work just fine on a 50-54, pan gasket is the same. If not, then the fitting in the side of the 55-6 pan could be sourced and a 55-56 filler tube/dipsick put on. Will retain that "all Packard" look

Posted on: 2011/9/14 22:20
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Fred, I believe the pan depths are different between the GS/Twin pans and the Standard Ultramatic Pans. So the GS/Twin pans will not clear on the Standard Ultra case.

You would have to drill a hole in the standard pan and then weld in a bung before you could try to use the 54 GS - 56 dipstick setups. Also I believe the '54 GS dipstick is a different length then the 55/56 ones.

Posted on: 2011/9/15 0:18
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
Yes, you would of course have to weld in the bung and yes the dipsticks are different, but you would use the 54-56 GS tube which should be compatible with the 54-6 GS dipstick. ( Note,no other references here, not allowed to have fun any more)

Posted on: 2011/9/15 6:28
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 10 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved