Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
120 user(s) are online (73 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 118

Todd W. White, ECAnthony, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1954 Packard Clipper Super with Delco-Remy Distributor
Home away from home
Home away from home

steve828
See User information
Put an RR175 condenser in at tune up time. Looks like it should be an RR174. I suppose this would have an effect on point life and engine smoothness. Don't know where it got the RR175 part number but guess better change it to the RR174 to get the old girl running.

Posted on: 2011/6/6 9:26
 Top  Print   

Re: 1954 Packard Clipper Super with Delco-Remy Distributor
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Steve, there is a range of condenser capacitances specific to a year and model. Yet the overall range is quite narrow and a condenser doesn't particularly care if the vehicle is Delco or AutoLite, 4, 6, 8 or 12 cylinders, or 6 or 12 volt.
Yes, the one you have may be the incorrect capacitance but it certainly wouldn't prevent the car from starting and running well. Yes, maybe you'll get 8,000 miles from a set of points instead of 10,000, but there certainly shouldn't be any great urgency to change it for the correct one and not enjoy the vehicle in the meantime.

Posted on: 2011/6/6 12:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

steve828
See User information
Thanks, Owen

I didn't know that either so I really appreciate your input. I am going to try and clean up the points and get someone to help me trouble shoot the coil while they crank the engine and I see if I can get any juice out of it. Do you know if there's any way I can test the coil on my own without having someone crank the engine to see if it is generating a spark?

Posted on: 2011/6/6 12:31
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Remove the wire from the distributor points outside terminal and touch or ground against the block. That is all the points are doing. With ign switch on, touching ground with the wire, high voltage lead from coil near the block, you should see the spark jump when you remove the wire from ground.

It should be a relatively decent spark but nothing like what you'd see on a modern car. If you did a lot of cranking and ran the battery down, there could be enough voltage drop from starter motor when cranking that the voltage to coil is low and spark is not good enough. A common problem with 6v systems having dirty connections or too small a battery cable.

Posted on: 2011/6/6 12:50
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
high voltage lead from coil near the block

"near the block" meaning about 1/4 inch or so. Though there are (were) special coil testing rigs, I've heard they aren't all that reliable. 99.999% of coil failures only manifest themselves when the coil is hot - even a failing coil will usually spark when at ambient temperatures.

If you don't have one, buy yourself a point file and if the coil tests OK as HH56 has described, then run a point file across the points and try again.

Posted on: 2011/6/6 13:00
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved