Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
124 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 121

Ross, Ernie Vitucci, Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Organic washers on rear leaf spring shackles?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken_P
See User information
When I took the shackles off of my 115c, I think I found the remmnents of a cork washer of some sort between the shackle pieces and the leaf spring. Is there supposed to be anything like that? If so, what's it made of and does it go between the shackle plates and frame/spring bushing on both bolts and plates or just on one end?

Posted on: 2011/6/11 13:12
1937 120 1092 - Original survivor for driving and continued preservation.
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=16514&forum=10

1937 115 1082 - Total basket case, partial restoration, sold Hershey 2015
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?start=0&topic_id=6550&order=ASC&status=&mode=0
 Top  Print   

Re: Organic washers on rear leaf spring shackles?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Between the leaves on many springs there were various "buttons". These were used for silence, different ride characteristics etc. Several prewar bulletins and counselor articles mention various button combinations or composition changes and things to do, look for or change to fix or help various things. I think the shackle itself only had the rubber bushing. One common theme in the articles was to not lubricate certain areas between the leaves.

Posted on: 2011/6/11 14:59
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The interleaf "buttons" were both rubber and metallic alloy with the specific material varying with the application (chassis) and specific leaf. Normally at least one (the 2nd leaf) used rubber. As I recall the alloys were of bronze, antimony, tin and lead. Packard's U.S. Patent 2,221,488 gives specifics.

Posted on: 2011/6/11 15:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
Is there a grease fitting on the shackle? The cork washer could be a grease seal. Many cars had this arrangement. Some Chrysler products had bronze shackle bearings that threaded in, until the early 50s.

Posted on: 2011/6/11 18:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
Quote:

Ken P wrote:
When I took the shackles off of my 115c, I think I found the remmnents of a cork washer of some sort between the shackle pieces and the leaf spring. Is there supposed to be anything like that? If so, what's it made of and does it go between the shackle plates and frame/spring bushing on both bolts and plates or just on one end?

Ken,

I am a little confused. Is the organic material between the leaves of the spring, or was it between the side of the rubber bushing and the shackle pin links?

If the latter, could it be some junk that got caught up in there? The only parts in the shackles should be the two shackle links, two shackle pins, and two rubber shackle bushings.

Tom

Posted on: 2011/6/11 22:27
--
Thomas Wilcox
34 Roadster, [url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/r
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
In replacing the rear shackles on mate Wade's '37 Super 8 there were felt washers as part of the shackle assembly. Been looking for pic's to illustrate but can't find at this time. Probably not relevant to your 115C anyway. When I replaced the rear shackle rubbers on my '41 120, no washers that I remember. Flackmaster should be able to supply a definitive answer. The other though I'm having is, are your remnants part of a spring cover? Heard of them but ain't seen any. Were they metal, leather, canvas or what?

Posted on: 2011/6/11 23:37
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken_P
See User information
Tom, the latter. However, apparently in '37 Packard used a screw-together type shackle vice a rubber bushed shackle.

Mal, actually, the Super 8 shackles are the same as mine. I didn't find anything in the '37 manual I have, but when I took a look in the '38 manual that covers '37, it referred me to this illustration the Super 8 portion of the manual. It would appear that I need two grease seals on each bolt for a total of eight.

Since I don't have a fancy punch tool for cutting cork gaskets, I'm going to go to the hardware store and see if I can find something. If that doesn't work, I'll look into other sources.

Any tips or hints I need to know on putting these kind of shackles back together? It seems pretty simple, but it seems it could be easy to assemble the shackle incorrectly such that the rear suspension binds up.

Attach file:

jpg  (30.00 KB)
2964_4df4cc694b6c1.jpg 736X633 px

Posted on: 2011/6/12 9:25
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=16514&forum=10

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?start=0&topic_id=6550&order=ASC&status=&mode=0
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
The part number for the cork gaskets is 315476, we have soem NOS, but of course they are shrunken, britle and unusable. I would suggest using a thich cross section O ring, not original but if a judge is looking that closely put your car in first gear and either go forwards or back at your indescretion.

Posted on: 2011/6/13 12:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken_P
See User information
Fred, thanks for the thoughts. I ended up buying a sheet of 1/8" rubber and using a hole saw, spade bit, and Xacto knife made my own. The caption of the picture says it all, but I'm trying to restore a driver that I can put in shows, not a show car I can drive from the trailer to the parking spot, so I think it will turn out ok.

Attach file:

jpg  (124.97 KB)
2964_4df69af61d6ad.jpg 956X1600 px

jpg  (146.35 KB)
2964_4df69b08b35d0.jpg 1600X956 px

Posted on: 2011/6/13 18:19

Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved