Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
233 user(s) are online (165 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 229

curpack, BigKev, Don B, humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 4 (5)

Re: 1951 Packard Twelve What-If
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mahoning63
See User information
To my eye it looks more modern in the front. However, the inward tapering front fender and bulging rear fender are pure '48 GM and '49 Chrysler. Note how in 1950 GM moved on. The Buick has sensuous flow to the sides and Cadillac has that inspired vertical chrome splitter on the beautifully flowing Darrin-like sides... very distinctive and the kind of signature design that Packard used to offer in the 30s, such as with the creased beltline that flowed from the top of the grill surround, or the classic grill itself. Am not seeing such distinction in the post-war cars despite the hint of ox yoke in the grill. IMHO, Richard Arbib was the only one able to dial in that old Packard magic up front, although his Pan American benefitted from a sectioned body.

Here's another attempt at a distinctive front that doesn't fall victim to 50s chrome craziness. To stay with Caddy the car probably needed more action on the sides than my plain straight through sides suggestion would have had. Can't really show it but am thinking of bulging front and rear fenders - big sweeps, not pronounced - to give the car some swing.

UPDATED with higher front fenders and headlights.

Attach file:

jpg  (55.53 KB)
2060_4e0c96af5f0c0.jpg 700X525 px

jpg  (47.52 KB)
2060_4e0cc304aac95.jpg 511X313 px

Posted on: 2011/6/29 17:23
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 4 (5)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved