Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
85 user(s) are online (62 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 83

Spencer B., 39Rollson, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 7 »

Re: Mythbuster #777 Fram Oil Filters
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Fred, where is this superb and timeless advice of yours when I need it?

Posted on: 2011/6/21 17:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
John (JW), interesting story, thanks for sharing. Since way back Bosch makes gazillion of filters evey year and as the leading expert on diesel and gasoline injection the know their business. As the happy end confirms buy Bosch to buy quality.

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 2011/6/21 17:24
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Gerd, I have not seen any Bosch filters in the stores I have visited since the incident. They may still market in North America and/or U.S., but I do not know for sure. Obviously, they are still making and selling them in Europe. Like I said, my expectations were high given the corporate reputation. Maybe it was a one time event, but they stood by their product. Not many companies do that these days (e.g., Owen's dealings with FoMoCo). Take care.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2011/6/21 17:57
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
It was a nice story and glad for a happy ending. It's a small world because I grew up in Truth or Consequences, (formerly Hot Springs) leaving there for the wide wide world of California in 63. At that time it was a town that started rolling up the sidewalks at 6pm and had them solidly locked by 11 or whenever the movie show let out -- whichever came first. Am glad to hear that by the 80's there was someone still open at night.

During my time there, Dads old 51 Packard which I drove thru HS, a beat up 50 (minus a trunk lid) owned by a lady who worked for the phone company, and a very decent 56 Clipper I fell in lust with and wanted the worst way when it turned up on a used car lot was the extent or our Packard stock. All considered, I guess not too shabby for a town which averaged around 50 in the graduating senior classes.

I don't remember what we used for filters then but undoubtedly whatever was sold cheaply at Western Auto or the Pine Knot gas station dad bought gas & oil from would have been it. Of course, I expect the Packard didn't care and was glad for anything remotely proper because the oil I could afford to put in was generally used or re re refined so an old sock would have been a step up. I have to say the car never let me down so to any of you doubters of Packard quality, borrow a phrase from the Timex slogan.

Posted on: 2011/6/21 18:59
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
My Packard doesn't even have a set up for an oil filter! From my own experience, I always buy the cheapest filter I could. Usually SuperTech from Walmart. I may be playing Russian Roulette, but I have had 3 cars with 200K + miles and no problems. No matter the brand, I guess there is always a chance you will get a lemon.

Posted on: 2011/6/21 19:46
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Ditto for me 51Packrd. I've always the cheapest filters i could find too. AS LONG as they somekind of recognizable brand name on them including K-Mart, Wal-Mart, Sears.

As for Fram i've never seen too many Frams offered or they were more expensive than some K-Mart type brand setting next to it on the shelf.

One exception is that i was recently handed a filter by an Ag dealer that was former MF authorized dealer for decades. The filter was in a plain brown wrapper with NO NAME. Made in Indonesia. I just wouldn't use it because it was a No-Name. I bought a Fram and installed it and that was about a month ago.

There is much flim flam regarding filters "of high quality" especialy air filters. Most street use vehicles have NO SEALS on the throttle shafts or choke shafts so the high dollar filters are just over kill.

LAI said one of the most brilliant statements of the last 30 years with regards to environmental issues:
" Just exactly how much clean air do we really need anyway".

That same question can be extended to air filters, oil filters etc.

Posted on: 2011/6/21 21:18
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
As for Owens problem with the 'alloy wheels':

Buy some traditional steel stamped type wheels like we ran for decades and put those alloy wheels on Ebay or craigslist or use them as yard ornaments.

The alloy wheels are nothing more than gimmick. The tire stores bend them up. I'm going thru the same problem with a late model Focus.

The alloys are just fine for drifters or running the Indy 500 or 24 hours of LeMans or some other high compettion / special application. For average passenger car operation up to 120 to 140 mph the Alloys are nothing more than a gimmick. Put some steel stamped on there and save alot of money and unnecessary headaches.

Posted on: 2011/6/21 21:28
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Quote:

PackardV8 wrote:
Old LAI was mostly just a big bag of wind.

Just who or what was LAI? I'm guessing Lee Iacoca?

Posted on: 2011/6/21 22:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
To Packard V8:

You say that most street vehicles have no seals on the throttle or choke shafts so therefore high dollar air filters are overkill.

Let me analyze that statement which I believe to be false and misleading. Do you mean that non-street vehicles HAVE such seals, if so which ones?? Dirt track, drag race?? I do;t think so. A BIG CARB HI CUBIC engine has a carb in the 650-850 cubic FEET per minute range. Do you mean that the minuscule amount of air that may leak through a throttle shaft bushing/play of .015" will allow enough particulate matter through to nullify the filtering of 850 cubic feet of air??? That is riduculous, plain and simple.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinons, but not their own facts. The earth is still flat and the sky in not falling, at least last time I checked. Healthy debate is good to arrive at the correct conclusion, but irrelvant or patently false points do nothing but divert attention from the subject at hand.

I am oft criticized for being so blunt, but in the face of something like this there is no other way to be.

Enough is enough

Posted on: 2011/6/22 12:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken_P
See User information
Hahaha!!! As someone who pointed to your bluntness yesterday, yet firmly on your side today, I'm cracking up. The earth is in fact... drum roll... ROUND!

Sorry to nitpick, I understand your point and that it was probably a typo, but I thought it was funny.

I have been interested in the debate. I've always bought WIX filters. My dad was a heavy equipment mechanic for 20 years, and always said he had heard bad things about Fram. I disagree with the guys buying cheap filters- if you spend $2 more on a filter and it saves you 50k miles, is it really that expensive? I think changing filters is cheap insurance for mechanical systems. Just my thoughts.

Posted on: 2011/6/22 20:41
1937 120 1092 - Original survivor for driving and continued preservation.
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=16514&forum=10

1937 115 1082 - Total basket case, partial restoration, sold Hershey 2015
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?start=0&topic_id=6550&order=ASC&status=&mode=0
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 7 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved