Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
116 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 115

Joe, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7)

Re: Mythbuster #777 Fram Oil Filters
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
If there is any rubber at the top of the filter, it could easily get ripped out of it's round o-ring shape and one end pushed out the hole once the center metal tube as collapsed from force and damaged the top of the inside of the filter.

In that pic you can easily see the center metal tube is crushed inside.

Posted on: 2011/9/1 9:50
 Top  Print   

Fram oil filters - metallic hard facts & rubbery opinions
Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
...Fram filters form the 50's-today had cardboard end caps glued in place...

Well, I'm neither a filter expert nor do I want to express any kind of filter end cap preferences, moreover it seems not related to the trouble that Mike (cortcomp) elucidated (although the inner tube seems to feature a reinforcing ribbing structure compared to the filters to the right) but if it helps establish the truth please find below two examples of Fram oil filters with metal end caps.

Click to see original Image in a new window

Fram XG7317 (to the left), available today

Click to see original Image in a new window

Fram Extended Guard X2 XG3593A, introduced in the market before 2003 and equipped with metal end caps

Fram itself advertised their current top-of-the-range oil filter as "...reinforced with a metal screen to deliver up to 10,000 miles of engine protection...".

picture sources
1 - www.flicr.com
2 - www.mdxers.org

Posted on: 2011/9/1 9:55
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Stephen Houseknecht
See User information
Sounds like someone seriously overtightened the filter. Probable reason for tearing o-ring and distorting the center tube.

Posted on: 2011/9/1 10:12
Stephen
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
Yes, I am aware that some Fram filters have/had metal end caps. The posts said that Fram filters used to be top quality and now were of poor quality BECAUSE of the current use of paper end caps. While I am not qualified to assess the quality of a filter, there is no co-realation shown of declining quality and the adoption of paper end caps. Paper end caps were in use at least as far back a 1959 per my photos.

The logic is McCarthyesque, guilt by association.

A bit about the "collapse" of the center tube. Center tubes are made of circular metal adn a circle is the strongest shape. If a tube should collapse inwards, the apertures for oil/debris to go through remain approx 1/16"

With a pressure relief valve, if a filter becomes clogged it is perhaps ]possible for debris to pass through the valve. This would not be a filter failure as it is doing exactly what it is designed to do, bypass the filter. If the engine is disintegrating adn it clogs the filter, that is an engine failure, not a filter failure. If the car is driven 20,000 miles wiwthout an oil change adn the filter gets clogged, that is not a filter failure, it is an operator failure.

You can drive the best tire in the world at 80 mph with 5 lbs pressure and the tire will fail. Post photos all over the internet to "prove" brand X tire is "no damn good" and absolve yourself of any responsibility.

Better yet, drive a BTV equipped Packard rebuilt by a rebuilder who puts silicone sealer in the return channel. Whe the brakes fial , you've just "proven" the BTV is no damn good.

Posted on: 2011/9/1 10:34
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information

Posted on: 2011/9/1 11:19
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

tfee
See User information
Once, a few years ago, I found a tiny walrus in a Fram filter. It was a baby and had not developed the signature tusks they use to puncture the filter at birth. I think that most failed filters are due to the premature incubation of the walrus eggs within. Until a better filter medium can be developed I think this type of walrus filter failure will continue. Scientists in the know actually suggest it may be on the incline.

That's just my opinion though.
Todd Fee

Attach file:

jpg  (100.51 KB)
2666_4e5fb80f4272b.jpg 820X768 px

Posted on: 2011/9/1 11:51
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Great post! ROTFLMAO!

Posted on: 2011/9/1 11:53

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Even Fred cops it! Is no one safe?

Posted on: 2011/9/5 5:23
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
I must report this to the World Wildlife Federation at once!!

Posted on: 2011/9/5 10:17
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved