Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
126 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 124

Alvin14, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1929 packard 626 fuel tank sending unit
Home away from home
Home away from home

29tons
See User information
I had the fuel tank out due to rust and had a new liner put in it the sending unithas like a whit corrosion on it should I clean this or soke it in anything before installing ? thanks for any help

Posted on: 2011/6/24 3:16
 Top  Print   

Re: 1929 packard 626 fuel tank sending unit
Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
Not sure of the best way, but I needed to repair mine (seehttps://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=6514&forum=10. Before I replaced the broken tubes, I very lightly sandblasted the unit and then soaked it in a weak phosphoric acid solution (Krud Kutter) for half an hour to remove any scale that might be on the inside of the tubes. Then after finishing the repair, I flushed everything with hot water and blew it dry with compressed air.

Posted on: 2011/6/24 17:23
 Top  Print   

Re: 1929 packard 626 fuel tank sending unit
Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
I just did the unit on my 733. I cleaned all the organic crud using lacquer thinner. I let the thinner evaporate and then soaked it in 5% muriatic acid (HCL). I would let it soak for a few minutes, try to scrub off the lime with a tooth brush, let is soak a little longer, scrub, and repeat until clean. Don't let it soak overnight or anything like that. You will find large chunks missing in the morning!

I cleaned out the inside of the tubes using pipe cleaners or small bits of rags dragged through with a very thin copper wire.

Cheers,

Tom

Posted on: 2011/6/24 21:37
--
Thomas Wilcox
34 Roadster, [url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/r
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved