Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
227 user(s) are online (147 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 226

Alvin14, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1929 6th Series Hood Latches
Home away from home
Home away from home

jimw
See User information
I'm stumped. The sixth series has front frame covers that run from the firewall forward to the front of the frame. They have holes for both of the hood latches on each side. The rear pair of holes line up with a threaded plate attached to the splash apron, so that is what the rear hood latches are attached to. The front pair of holes is directly over the frame and there are no corresponding holes in the frame. What do the front hood latches attach to? It doesn't appear that there would be room between the frame cover and the frame to accommodate a nut since the frame cover is attached to the frame with oval head screws and the frame cover holes and corresponding frame holes are countersunk, indicating tight fit. Can anyone help with this mystery. Have attached a picture of the front pair of hood latch holes to better illustrate the area I am concerned with.

Thanks,

Jim Wayman
640 Phaeton

Attach file:

jpg  (104.70 KB)
1238_4e11ee52c0a50.jpg 1600X1200 px

Posted on: 2011/7/4 11:46
 Top  Print   

Re: 1929 6th Series Hood Latches
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken Sadler
See User information
Jim

Mine is a 7th series so I cannot be 100% useful but it seems that the cover and frame can only ever be closely mated. I checked mine and the latch bolts go through both cover and frame at the front. The rear latches are not fixed to the frame - they actually attach to the front end of the sill panel that runs under the doors.

Does the frame have a pair of holes at the front? I assume one or the other parts is a replacement so hole might be missing or misaligned.

Seems the simple solution is to drill new holes.

Posted on: 2011/7/5 4:11
1930 Deluxe 8 745 Dual Cowl Sport Phaeton
See me in the Registry
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
On my 7th series car, which was largely unmolested, the hood latches were riveted to the frame covers. Thus no need for holes in the frame.

Tom

Posted on: 2011/7/5 11:27
--
Thomas Wilcox
34 Roadster, [url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/r
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken Sadler
See User information
Tom's da man!

Its easy to assume that the latch needs something substantial to attach to but in reality the cover is sufficient.

Tom, I notice you are in Austin and sport the FSM noodly appendage! Are you associated with the ACA?

Posted on: 2011/7/5 13:03
1930 Deluxe 8 745 Dual Cowl Sport Phaeton
See me in the Registry
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

jimw
See User information
Thanks for the ideas. No holes in the frame for the front latches, so perhaps the rivet idea is the way to go, though the frame covers are painted and the base of the latch is chrome. How to rivet it on is the question. Does it get riveted before painting and just mask the latch base? Will try it that way to avoid messing up the paint with the riveting process.

Jim Wayman
640 Phaeton

Posted on: 2011/7/8 18:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
More than likely it was riveted on after paint. The latch, the latch receiver, and the rivets were nickel coated on mine, and I believe that is correct for 7th series cars.

Posted on: 2011/7/10 22:18
--
Thomas Wilcox
34 Roadster, [url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/r
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Odd Moen
See User information
I have checked on my 640 Roadster and 633 Touring. On the front latch two screws are going through the hood latches, frame cover and the frame. Therefore it has to be drilled two holes through the frame. The front hole is almost on the edge of the frame.

Posted on: 2011/7/17 10:42
633 Touring
640 Roadster
640 Phaeton
1104 Club Sedan
Odd Moen
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

jimw
See User information
I checked the parts book (novel idea) for the 6th series and found that the rear latches have 1/4" oval head machine screws listed for securing them to the splash apron and the front latches have 1/4" X 3/8" oval head rivets listed for securing them. It is not clear whether they are secured directly to the frame cover or to a plate under the frame cover as there is a plate listed and pictured in the parts book. Being 3/8" long the rivets would seem to go thru more than the hood latch base (which is countersunk) and the frame cover, but this would seem to create an obstruction on the bottom side of the frame cover. ????

Jim Wayman
640 Phaeton

Posted on: 2011/7/22 22:05
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Rodney Dahlgren
See User information
Front rivets do NOT go through the frame.

Posted on: 2011/8/2 13:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

jimw
See User information
Rod:

Since there are no holes in the frame for attaching the front hood latches, what I am trying to ascertain is whether the latches are just riveted to the frame covers or whether they are riveted thru the frame covers to a bracket on the back side of the frame covers.

Jim Wayman
640 Phaeton

Posted on: 2011/8/7 17:00
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved