Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
113 user(s) are online (60 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 110

Eugene Wescott, BigKev, 53 Cavalier, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Aftermarket springs?
Home away from home
Home away from home

tfee
See User information
Three of the springs on my 1930 Packard 733 appear to be aftermarket, can you take a look and see if this is correct? The spring in the foreground is what I'd expect on a Packard; it's fully tapered and the ends have been smoothed over however the spring in the background is crudely cut. Which is stock? Both of my rear springs are crude and one front spring (pass side) is also crude. Is this correct or have they been swapped at some time?

Attach file:

jpg  (58.18 KB)
2666_4e12768216f1b.jpg 800X534 px

jpg  (56.79 KB)
2666_4e1276939fa51.jpg 800X534 px

Posted on: 2011/7/4 21:31
 Top  Print   

Re: Aftermarket springs?
Home away from home
Home away from home

tfee
See User information
I took the springs to Eaton yesterday and the guys there were fairly certain that both rear springs and the crudely cut front spring were all replacement springs. Having only one original spring, I decided to get all new springs. They should be ready in two weeks.

Posted on: 2011/7/7 21:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Matt snape
See User information
That would make sense to me also, judging by the springs on the 34 1100 chassis, although I am not sure exactly what is original on those. I suspect that the pack retaining clamps may be something added later as my most original looking pack has none and I suspect they may have been wrapped or bound with wire when new...?

Posted on: 2011/7/7 21:27
If at First You Don't Succeed - Skydiving is Not For You...
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

jimw
See User information
Check the springs for part numbers stamped into the leaves. Original Packard springs had the numbers on them as well as the weight ratings.

Jim Wayman
640 Phaeton

Posted on: 2011/7/8 18:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

tfee
See User information
Snapey, these springs should have tin covers affixed to them but they are long gone and like Jim mentioned, only the one good spring is stamped. I left the springs with Eaton however the one good spring had 950 stamped in to it which coincides with the 950 load rate shown in the parts catalog.

Posted on: 2011/7/8 19:19
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved