Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
166 user(s) are online (119 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 163

happy, moodydavid16, HH56, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

need new battery in 1936 120B coupe
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

120p400
See User information
I have had an 8 volt, 2-8V Battery Mart battery for 10 years in my 1936 120 coupe. It wont hold charge (only 10 years life). I went down to exchange for new 2-8V and all Battery Mart has is group 1, 8volt (1-8V)so....... i thought i would fit a group 2 6 volt back in , but i find the group 2 6volt is too tall, the posts hit the floor (or actually the cover plate). Sitting next to the 2-8v on the counter we remarked it looked too tall, but i took it home anyway to try , and yup, too tall! The gropu 2 6 volt is about 3/4" taller than 2-8V.

Anyone else gone thru this Battery Mart finding/offering lately with helpful comments?
thanks
Craig

Posted on: 2011/7/6 16:13
 Top  Print   

Re: need new battery in 1936 120B coupe
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

John Sauser
See User information
John Ulrich in San Francisco makes a 1 inch deeper battery holder for the newer battery size.
JPS

Posted on: 2011/7/6 17:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
Have you measured a 6 volt optima battery they are smaller than a regular battery but I don't know if they are shorter. They are very powerful.

Posted on: 2011/7/6 17:34
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

120p400
See User information
Thanks, i went and looked for Ulrich site -
http://julrichpackard.com/battery.htm

I see he lists two depths - 1935-1942 Battery Box
Unlike the originals made of 24 gauge, these reproductions are made of 20 gauge steel. You have two choices of depth. The originals were 6 3/4" inches, and I make a deep 7 1/4" box. The newer batteries tend to be a bit taller and sometimes could make contact with the cover when used with the original part. Specify standard or deep when ordering.
$35.00

I will go measure what my existing box depth to try and understand this matter. I am pretty sure my existing box has upturned ends to best contain the battery. I wonder why the Ulrich box does not have same? I would think mine is OEM as i am the second owner of this 36 and it has low mileage.

Anyway, grabbing a tape measure........
thanks
Craig

Posted on: 2011/7/6 19:02
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

120p400
See User information
I inspected more closely and measured.
My current battery box has added sheet metal at both ends of the floor to form a turned up box, about an inch high.
Just some butt welded sheet stock bent at a simple angle, nice job, hard to see at first, looks stock.

The depth looks original at 7+", maybe 7 1/16.

Has the height of group 1 or 2, 6 volt batteries always been 9 3/8"? since 1936?
If so, then the problem of the battery to being too close to the cover would seem to have plagued many 120 owners. Maybe it is just my 36 120 Packard?
Craig

Attach file:

jpg  (25.52 KB)
825_4e15a4e030c79.jpg 554X430 px

Posted on: 2011/7/7 7:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
Hi Craig, I am intrigued with your decision to go back to 6V instead of the 8V Battery. I went for an 8 volt battery in my 38 SIX (Richards Body) for 5 years but ended up going back to 6V for the following reasons:

. Prior to 1939, Junior Packards did not have a Temperature compensating voltage regulator. A 6 Volt battery normally requires approx 8 Volts charge ( headlights on) with a warmed up regulator to maintain a 7.5 volt EMF for 3 wet cells. The same voltage regulator on start-up produces around 9.5 volts for a minute or so until the regulator warms up. An 8 Volt battery requires approx 11 Volts charge (headlights on) to maintain a 10 volt EMF for 4 wet cells. The same voltage regulator on start up produces around 11.75 volts for a minute or so until the regulator warms up. From bitter experience I can assure you that if you start a 38 Packard with the two pole regulator at night and switch the headlights on within 30 seconds,, you will take a FLASH of the neighbourhood and blow all of your lights.

. Prior to 1939, Junior Packards did not have headlight relays and the headlight current wnet through the headlamp switch. The excessive current on changing to 8 volts caused my switch to emit a burning smell even after the regulator was wasm , due to the increased current and (on the positive side ) effectiveness.

I applaud your decision to go back to 6V but would suggest headlight relays and Quartz Halogen 6 V bulbs to greatly assist your nighttime navigation Peter toet

Posted on: 2011/7/7 7:59
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
I think you will find a optimum battery will fit-

Posted on: 2011/7/7 9:37
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved