Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
84 user(s) are online (59 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 84

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 6 »

Re: What do I Have ?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
Isn't 38 the year they had disappearing or self destructing decals instead of a data plate? If so, maybe clearing a path to get information would have been a futile experience.

Yes Howard, to quote an expert:

Quote:
"... 1938 #s have been among the hardest to come by. As to the VN, 1938 was the one and only year that Packard used a decal rather than a metal plate ... But if you can't get the original VN from prior documentation or owners, there really isn't any significant chance that the # can be recovered. Somewhere along the line of ownership and titles it was recorded, if you can trace it back far enough, that's about the only chance.

PS - I believe that perhaps only the Detroit-built Packards in 1938 used the decal, the few Canadian-built ones that I've taken note of have a brass plate..."

Sincere thanks are given to Dave (Owen_Dyneto), who had put the things straight.

[picture source: www.tomlafarriere.com]

Attach file:

jpg  (29.57 KB)
757_4e2d21d013efa.jpg 500X375 px

Posted on: 2011/7/25 2:57
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dale Rhinehart
See User information
Wow you guys have sure stirred my curiosity and lite a fire for me, as it is also a Deluxe what dose that mean as far as options or is it just some fancy trim. Maybe the trunk is full of money from a "hist in the late 30's and I can use it to fix her up. Thanks and any for info on the 38 sure will help I will start to clear a path in a week and advise of what I find. Dale

Posted on: 2011/7/25 14:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
if you haven't already, click on the owner registry and you can see a 1601 touring sedan with sidemounts

Posted on: 2011/7/25 16:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dale Rhinehart
See User information
In the realm of Packards is the 38 1601 with the side mounts very desirable, or are they kind of like a white elephant. Just want to know what I might be getting into, my Grandma always said "don't look a gift horse in the mouth" thanks to all for the help Dale

Posted on: 2011/7/25 19:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken_P
See User information
It's not a platinum diamond encrusted model like a '32 boattail speedster, but all of the pre-war Packards have decent value, especially if this one is an actual barn find that is pretty rust free and original. My car is a '37 115c, which is pretty common, and the NADA high book is 49K. I don't think I'll ever get that, but you never know.

IMHO, any Packard that is not rusted into the ground is worth saving, just because it's a marquee that hasn't been made for 55 years (53 if you count the Studebaker years).

Posted on: 2011/7/25 19:58
1937 120 1092 - Original survivor for driving and continued preservation.
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=16514&forum=10

1937 115 1082 - Total basket case, partial restoration, sold Hershey 2015
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?start=0&topic_id=6550&order=ASC&status=&mode=0
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
In 35/36/37 Packard made 4 door Touring, Formal and Club sedans in the junior series. In 38/39/40 juniors they made only one sedan , the touring sedan.

Thus there is no larger or smaller trunk between models as there is just one model.

The aprts to resore the engine are the same price as earlier Junior models and later junior models 35-47

Posted on: 2011/7/27 10:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dale Rhinehart
See User information
Sir what is meant by a "Junior" and Senior Packard is one smaller the the other? Dale

Posted on: 2011/7/27 14:32
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
basic explanation

junior....lower series, lower price, not as many options available, smaller motor, etc. etc. etc.

senior....includes things like the super 8 and V12 models, etc etc. the high end cars.

Posted on: 2011/7/27 14:56
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
110, 115, 120s, Sixes, Clipper, 200s, 250s, etc, any of these would fall into the class of being a Junior.

Common analogy I like to use when compared to GM line up is that the Seniors are to Cadillac and the Juniors are to Buick. (slings and arrows on the way to me I am sure)

Posted on: 2011/7/27 15:32
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
I disagree with the analogy, back in the 30's big Buicks 80/90 Series often shared basic body shells with Cadillac, as the didall the way up to the 90's.

The correct analogy using GM would be a 61-72 Buick Special/Skylark commonly referred to as an "A" body (junior). The full size Buicks, Lesabre, Invicta, Electra would be analogous to Seniors.

The 1935 Packard 120 Junior shared no parts I know of with a Senior Super 8 except perhaps a wiper arm nut. Likewise a 61 bBuick Special shared virtually nothing with the Electra

On the 77-96 Senior GM rear wheel drive CHEVROLET, PONTIAC, OLDS BUICK CADILLAC virtually everything on the front suspension, brakes, rear suspension, some years engine, transmission etc etc are either identical part numbers or functionally identical

Posted on: 2011/7/27 16:02
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 6 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved