Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
220 user(s) are online (126 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 218

Peter Packard, moodydavid16, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

356 Valve Cover _ baffle up? baffle down?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
On the 356 engine of my 1947 Super Clipper the inside of valve covers have a baffle plate with cut out portions. I presumed that the covers should be installed with the baffle up so that the cut outs correspond with the lifter gallery. Is this correct or should the baffles be down. The valve covers go on either way. I seem to be getting a small amount of oil coming out of the draft tube and wonder if maybe I have them on wrong. Additionally what is the purpose of these baffle plates?

Posted on: 2011/7/25 8:47

Re: 356 Valve Cover _ baffle up? baffle down?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Gee - never really gave it a thought. My recollection is that those that I had occasion to remove had the baffle positioned downwards and always reinstalled them in that position.

Posted on: 2011/7/25 9:16
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I thought they went down also. I don't remember them well but isn't there a flare or lip on one side that will actually extend over the engine edge casting slightly. If so, I would think that goes down so any oil splashed on the side would drip back into the lifter chamber. I think that is the purpose--to direct oil splash back so it does not accumulate on the casting lip and seep thru the gasket or get spritzed or splashed up and go out the draft tube.

Posted on: 2011/7/25 11:03
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Thanks guys, My recollection isthat the first time I removed the covers the baffle was down. I put it on the upside the last time I replace the gasket so possibly this is the source of my oil drip. I have sold the car to an elderly (older than me even!) gentleman so I want it to be as good as I can make it for him to enjoy it as much as I have. Now the hunt for another Packard begins!

Posted on: 2011/7/25 11:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Dave, congratulations on the sale of the Clipper. From what you have said about selling the Packard, it must be a mix of feelings. You have invested much time and effort into the car and the new owner is getting a very nice one. It will be interesting to see what you get to replace the Super. Looking forward to this next chapter. Take care.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2011/7/25 11:31
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
John, Thanks for the comments. I do have very mixed feelings but I was under it today adjusting and cleaning a few items before I let her go and that old nausea came back. For some reason I get sick when lying on my back under a car? I can't see myself paying someone to spin my wrenches so I guess it's time to either buy a garage with a hoist or get one that I don't need to climb under if that's possible in an old car . In any event I will miss the Clipper although it is going to a good home.
BTW the valve covers were on correctly with the baffles down.

Posted on: 2011/7/25 13:21

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I seem to be getting a small amount of oil coming out of the draft tube

What self respecting old Packard doesn't drip a little here and there. Maybe a few drips were designed in as a feature to commence after a few thousand miles. A late Bijur if you will. A few drops drip out and get blown all over to coat the undercarriage and prevent rust.

Posted on: 2011/7/25 13:49
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
My Packard certainly doesn't need Ziebart Rust protection!

Posted on: 2011/7/25 14:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Dave, what shall we do, condole or congratulate you on the sale?

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 2011/7/25 14:33
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Gerd, Well you could say I am going to cry all the way to the bank. I have been saving for a nicer one so with the money I have saved and the money from the Clipper I will be shopping.

Posted on: 2011/7/25 14:55

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved