Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
77 user(s) are online (50 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 75

39Rollson, TxGoat, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Not Your Everyday Packard, Tales of a 30s sedan
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Geez, mellow out guys. Look at the pictures. The car has already been picked over, probably so someone could restore their roadster. We got no carb, no lifters, no bumpers, no glass no roof and on and on. Let him do what he likes with the thing. There are more than enough restored ones to go around.

Let's do a little demographic study. What percentage of Packard owners are in their 70s? And eighties? I would guess half of all the owners that I know will no longer be able to drive in 15 years. The market will be awash with cars that are poignantly irrelevant to the coming generations.

I think we all love the quality, the style, the performance, and the history that Packard represents. We'd better be on our toes to make whatever portion of that heritage as accessible as possible to younger folks. I maintain that any interest in the cars, even if I don't agree with the outcome, is preferable to no interest.

I need to get back to work now--on a Packard that was MODIFIED in the early fifties--but would like to address this subject some more.

Posted on: 2011/7/29 11:48
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
in my defense i did say no offense meant, just expressing. so although i don't agree with his motives, it was said kind hearted.

the glass is all there except the rear and front windshield and i would think that the roof would be easy to redo...the chickenwire is still there and maybe some of the wood.

the motor parts can be had i'm sure, may take some time, but they are around i'm guessing.

it looks pretty complete to me, better then most i see.

i'd give it a go at restoring at this point in my life. i'd probably still be going at it into my 40s, but oh well it would be fun.

i don't like the thought of a japanese motor in an American classic though. but it is his to do with it what he pleases. no hard feelings. i just happen to be one of the youngins that would do original on this one, but i have had thoughts of a Packard dragster, so i can't poke too much at him.

also my thoughts are to go original also because the only Packard i have ever owned is in pieces....i haven't owned tons of them like some of the people on here. i bet when you own enough of them you get bored and start tinkering around with them a bit, but maybe not.....depends on the person i guess.

and i do agree...one day alot of Packard owners will die off and hopefully by that time i'll be old enough and have enough money i can just buy one of them from the estate or at auction, etc. cause i think when i get older i wont want to be slaving away in my garage in the Texas heat and since life is short and i wouldn't be getting any younger i would want instant gratification whenever i could get it. ;0)

p.s. i'm jealous...you get to work on your Packard....and i'm stuck at work, LOL!

Hank

Posted on: 2011/7/29 12:10
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Dear hooked on 240:

I can't afford projects like that and so I don't have much of an opinion.

When I was a kid there was an old lady who owned a mint 901 sedan right down to the original glass. I don't know what happened to it.

Over the years I have seen lots of classics go from nice original to junk because the owners wouldn't sell and then died. When you see an original custom bodied Packard pile of junk with a 1973 New Jersey state inspection sticker on the windshield it really sets you back. On the road in 73, through the top of the market, and then junked.

Out behind Hibernia there used to be a 33 Coupe Roadster that was rotted into the ground. Really bad.

But hey, back in the 50's George Jepson and Bob Turnquist were driving Packards home and torching them for parts.

So have fun with your car.

Posted on: 2011/7/29 21:56
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved