Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
67 user(s) are online (41 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 66

John Sauser, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Unsafe Garage Practice
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
This morning I sat down at the breakfast table to read the morning paper, after reading the article I just shook my head.

According to the story on Sunday three guys were working in the garage installing a gas tank on an older MoPar automobile.

The dumb ducks were heating the garage with a wood burn for heat. The gas fumes in the garage built up and the wood burner ignited the gas fumes. When the fumes exploded one of the fellows received second and third degree burns on good part of his body. The explosion blew one of the other
fellows through a closed garage and landed him in a snow bank outside the garage. The third fellwo was only slightly injured. The explosion ruined the inside of the garage and set fire to another car that was also parked inside the garage.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2008/3/3 19:49
REMEMBERING BRAD BERRY MY PACKARD TEACHER
 Top  Print   

Re: Unsafe Garage Practice
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tom (Packin31)
See User information
Almost a similar story. My stepfather own a service station years back. He rented out the back building to a body shop. One day we see smoke pouring out off the building. What happen was one of the body men was torching a leaf spring (for so odd reason) and it let loose puncturing a hole in the gas tank. Luckily it did burn the building down.

Posted on: 2008/3/3 20:32
Tom
1931 833 468 Coupe
Packard Registry|1931 Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
If you have a garage, that you work in, on CARS, don't you have some BASIC understanding of the concept of gasoline + heat = boom? I mean, like duh (as they say), that's what makes a car RUN.

Ah, potential Darwin award honorable mentions...

Tom

Posted on: 2008/3/3 21:48
--
Thomas Wilcox
34 Roadster, [url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/r
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
So I guess smoking while grinding on the gas tank is out now?

Posted on: 2008/3/4 1:41
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
John, this was reported locally several years ago. I don't know the location.
Picture a cold winter morning. The car won't start.
Owner siphons out a couple of gallons of gas.
He takes the gasoline into the the house, and pours it into a pan. He places the pan of gas on the stove and lights the burner to heat the gasoline so he can pour it back into the tank.
He didn't die, but the house was demolished.

Posted on: 2008/3/4 1:52
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

danielvis
See User information
Another tidbit of stupid!

A year or so ago I was reading about a fellow in Australia where apparently metal roofing on buildings is common. It's also common practice to use welding as a "pathing method". This guy got ticked off that the tanks kept rolling away on him so he attempted to weld the tank to the roof to stop it from rolling away. Needless to say it was the last thing he ever attempted to weld.

Posted on: 2008/3/10 19:27
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The only problem with common sense is that it isn't all that common!

Posted on: 2008/3/11 13:22
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved