Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
205 user(s) are online (120 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 205

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

'57 Packard What-If based on Turnpike Cruiser
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mahoning63
See User information
Continuing the exploration of platform sharing possibilities with other OEMs, the Mercury Turnpike Cruiser's Predictor-like roofline prompted this latest study. Added 8 inches forward of the firewall for a total wheelbase of 130 inches.

Given Ford and Mercury plant manager's disinclination to take on Edsel, and all the issues that resulted, let's assume they flat out refused to build Packards. This would have dictated that Conner and probably Utica needed to continue operating. Had Nance somehow convinced FoMoCo to go along, again with help from Ike's administration in the form of new defense contracts to Ford, the insurance companies might have backed it. The resulting car would have had a 440 CID V8 and updated Twin-Ultramatic and Torsion Level. Pricing would have to stay north of Lincoln. Studebaker would stay on its existing platform.

Attach file:

jpg  (58.38 KB)
2060_4e4577ea8b98b.jpg 1002X388 px

jpg  (55.88 KB)
2060_4e457be511eb0.jpg 1002X388 px

Posted on: 2011/8/12 14:04
 Top  Print   

Re: '57 Packard What-If based on Turnpike Cruiser
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
That one I like! The rear does kind of remind me of the Chaika which may be a copy of the Packard though.

As to Former GM bigshot Charlie Wilson, then defense secretary and yanker of Packard contracts to give them to GM being persuaded to give them to Ford instead, I somehow doubt it.

Posted on: 2011/8/12 14:13
Howard
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I love the straight lines. A little "Lincoln-ish", especially is the rear doors were suicide style.

Posted on: 2011/8/12 14:17
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mahoning63
See User information
Agreed on Wilson, the scheme would have been a stretch. It is amazing that so many Predictor elements found there way to Dearborn's styling studios. Wonder what the story was there.

Went with straight through sides and no fins in deference to Mr. Teague.

Just looked up the Chaika. Good eye! Oh well, wanted something clean and crisp.

Posted on: 2011/8/12 14:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
cleaning up the Merc's mish-mash of side lines helps. For the 400, how about stainless roof panels above the doors like Imperial used. An echo of the Predictor's tambours

Posted on: 2011/8/12 15:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mahoning63
See User information
Here are the stainless panels. Also got rid of the TC's pokey rods sticking out the front edge of the roof. Not sure if the roof indent above the windshield header was a separate stamping hit. If so, perhaps the operation could have been skipped for the Packard roof.

Forgot to add the TC's shoulder kick-up on the rear door to allow the roof and all the inner panels to connect. Prefer the straight-through look but such would have been the compromises. Maybe there was a way to avoid it without tooling new rear door and quarter panel inners.

Added more chrome to the taillight molding.

Attach file:

jpg  (55.97 KB)
2060_4e45b9df2915c.jpg 1002X388 px

Posted on: 2011/8/12 17:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mahoning63
See User information
One more with the kick-up moved closer to the C-pillar, even more definition in the taillight molding and 15" wheels replacing the 14"s. All probably doable. Incredibly this and most of the other work-ups use the TC's front door outer/inner, rear door inner with minor trimming, roof, decklid, windshield, floorpan, trunk bottom, quarter inners and cowl/firewall. Would have been a huge cost save for Packard had they been able to strike a deal.

Attach file:

jpg  (55.45 KB)
2060_4e45d4bdb1146.jpg 1002X388 px

Posted on: 2011/8/12 20:23
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I think this is one of your better ones. Would have been a very dignified car. The grill in profile looks good. Were you planning to use the Predictor with hidden headlight theme you did a few days ago or the Request? Wonder what the rear would look like with the senior cathedral lights. Actually, strike that. I think the rear looks good as it is.

Posted on: 2011/8/12 20:32
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mahoning63
See User information
Thanks, I like it too. The Turnpike Cruiser has a very dynamic roof compared to the earlier '58 Lincoln work-up because of its thinner C-pillar and racy, downward-sloping top. I also like the fact that this car would have had trimmer overall dimensions than even the standard '58 Lincoln, some 8 inches shorter and probably an inch or so narrower.

Not sure what to do with the front, that's one for the ages. Never was comfortable with the hooded double lights set against the wonderful needle nose grill motif. Hidden headlights might have added distinction but also might have resulted in a rather plain front lacking in personality. What would you do?

With the taillights I deliberately toned down the amount of red glass showing to avoid the sore & swollen look that the Predictor arguably has. Was thinking instead of slender lenses either similar in shape to the front grill motif or cathedral, and set into generous but delicately shaped chrome that subtly wrapped onto the fenders, connecting with the 51-54s.

All thoughts welcome guys.

Posted on: 2011/8/12 21:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mahoning63
See User information
Sorry HH56, don't think I fully anwered your question about the headlights. It's probably hard to tell but these renderings show the exposed hooded quad lights.

Update: actually they use the TC's single large light. Should have made them smaller to represent quads although that might have been a problem in some states if the car had been introduced as a '57 rather than a '58. Packard might have had it ready by early '57 had they buttoned up the deal with Ford in early/mid '56.

Update 2: nix the first update, the lights are quads.

Posted on: 2011/8/12 21:07
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved