Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
101 user(s) are online (59 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 101

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

53 gas tank
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob
See User information
Took off the gas cap and the inlet has some crusty stuff on the inside of gas filler tube. I smelled the inlet , smells like varnish. Got under the tank and hit with my hand, does not sound empty or liquid . A friend and I are going to let the tank down real slow. Im not messing with the drain plug at all. I cannot hear any gas moving around in the tank. I've got a bad feeling about whats in the tank.

Posted on: 2011/8/13 13:18
1953 Patrician
 Top  Print 

Re: 53 gas tank
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
Smart move on not touching the drain plug. Take the tank to get it chemically dipped and cleaned. Then you can evualate if it needs the tank sealing process which I would only do as a last resort.

Posted on: 2011/8/13 16:14
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
I had the tank on my 51 boiled out due to some small pin holes that were soldered up by the radiator rebuilder. I cleaned the tank and added the red sealer stuff. That was five years ago and it's still doing fine.

Posted on: 2011/8/13 21:15
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

oregonstan
See User information
I would agree with not trying to remove the drain I did try to take mine out and not only did it not come out it started to leak. I had it worked on at a radiator shop too and ended up paying about $220.00 for the tank to be cleaned up and cleaned out and seal the drain plug again.

Posted on: 2011/8/14 9:55
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Have the tank Renu'd. Guaranteed for life inside and out afterward and the coating is baked on.

Search Gas Tank Renu on google for more info.

Posted on: 2011/8/14 18:36
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob
See User information
I got lucky I guess. The gas tank has some gas not too bad looking, but had a half bucket of dirt in the tank.no varnish, I flushed it pretty good. Im taking it to a radiator shop to have steamed. $60 bucks is what they charge, then I will use the can of sealer to seal it. What is the best way to flush the gas line from tank to fuel pump?

Posted on: 2011/8/15 11:32
1953 Patrician
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob
See User information
Gas tank is clean but the gas line going inside the tank is clogged. I pushed a wire into gas line about 7 inches where line goes up, but won't go all the way in to where it curves to suck gas into the gas line outside the tank. I have used a coat hanger and a .035 wire with no luck. Any suggestions. I put some carb cleaner in the line hoping it would dissolve something, what else can I use in the line.I can see the end of the gas line thru the sending unit hole.

Posted on: 2011/8/17 17:21
1953 Patrician
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Here is a picture from Keegan's blog showing the line inside the tank.

In that flat section across the bottom after the loop a low or evaporated tank of gas could let varnish, rust or whatever build solid & sounds like what has happened. The carb cleaner is a good start and will help soften things. I have also heard of some putting a piece of flexible cable like a short piece of speedo cable in a drill and "drilling" or turning into the blockage. Haven't tried that myself but sounds like it might help. I would use one of the non flammable carb cleaners though if I tried that.

Attach file:

jpg  (37.75 KB)
209_4e4c41d14063e.jpg 590X569 px

Posted on: 2011/8/17 17:33
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob
See User information
ok I will try to use a speedo cable in a drill.

Posted on: 2011/8/17 17:41
1953 Patrician
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
As I said, haven't tried it but one issue might be how to hold the cable in some kind of object so it wouldn't kink outside the tank when the drill twists it and the end was held by the blockage.

Posted on: 2011/8/17 17:57
Howard
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved